- Summary for Quick Glance
- Market Stats & Growth in Grocery Delivery
- Why Build a Grocery Delivery App?
- Business Models That Decide Online Grocery Shopping App Cost
- Monetization Models for Grocery Delivery App
- Popular apps
- Key Features Our Grocery App Development Experts Use
- Grocery App Advanced Features
- Technology Stack to Consider for Reasonable Grocery App Development Cost India
- Grocery Delivery Mobile App Development Process
- Required Team Structure
- How much does it cost to develop a Grocery Delivery App?
- The Key Takeaway!
“Mobile is becoming not only the new digital hub but also the bridge to the physical world.”
– Thomas Husson, Vice President, and Principal Analyst at Forrester Research
Buying medicines, getting laundry done, or buying groceries are some of the tasks that are a part and parcel of our daily lives. With the ease of accessibility of the internet, we have entered a world that runs on our smartphones. Our daily chores can now be accomplished in just a few clicks too without much effort.
According to a recent study, 35% of the user community loves to order groceries online and the numbers of such users are increasing at an insane rate. Owing to these growing figures, Grocery Delivery App Development has gained impressive momentum and is paving the way for delivering an exemplified and enthralling experience to users while buying items of daily use.
With a well-designed and user-friendly grocery delivery app, let your customers ditch standing in long queues to purchase groceries. Offer them a solution to ditch this tedious process and get the required items delivered at home in a few clicks.
Grocery delivery app businesses such as Peapod, Instacart, Shipt, and AmazonFresh have already ensured a big chunk out of the billion-dollar on-demand grocery delivery domain. Moreover, the consumer base for the business category is mounting day by day, thus there is no doubt that grocery delivery app businesses will flourish in the coming years.
So, entering the market with an app that helps you earn a loyal customer base would be a smart move. One important factor to consider before making the call is the grocery delivery app development cost. Although the mobile app development would fit your budget, still being ready with a little homework would do no harm.
Before we continue with the discussion, let’s understand why it is a good idea to have a grocery delivery app despite cutthroat competition.
Summary for Quick Glance
Online grocery delivery has played a prominent role in the market of the supply chain, experiencing an ounce of benefits to the users, sellers, and businesses. Retailers offer a tech-enabled approach to sustain for the future. This online delivery platform triggers a home confined buying of the customers, booms to the sudden surge in the coming years.
In this piece of writing, we have come up with the important points to consider for an online grocery app if that could streamline appropriately, leading to success in the online grocery delivery app marketplace.
Market Stats & Growth in Grocery Delivery
- The global grocery retail market is expected to grow to $11.7 Trillion with 5% annual growth during the period of 2020-2027.
- According to the IBIS report, the industry is continuously booming and has reached $757B with a 2.9% growth rate in 2021.
- Doordash is the most downloaded app in the US in 2020 with a user base of 39M. Grubhub has a score of 16M app users, another leading grocery mobile app.
- Walmart is the leading retailer in the US market with a share of 27.2% while Amazon is the next with 20.8%.
- In India, the leading online grocery store is BigBasket with a revenue of $100.7B.
- Due to the advancement in technology, 63% of the users are likely to purchase groceries via their smartphones rather than websites or other modes.
- Some of the top popular market players in the online groceries market are Grubhub, Instacart, Dunzo, Ocado, Walmart, and Amazon.
Why Build a Grocery Delivery App?
When talking about grocery ordering app development, the idea may seem a little cliché but is quite popular. What makes the idea popular is the general ease it provides to the customers. Also, the cost to develop a grocery app isn’t much which guarantees high ROI as compared to other initiatives.
Here are a few reasons why grocery delivery mobile applications are gaining popularity in recent days.
1. Saves Time and Energy
Any grocery delivery app would make it easier for its users to manage their daily chores in just a few clicks. The customers can invest their time in something productive and interesting instead of standing in long queues to get billed and carry heavy grocery bags.
2. Upscale Your Bricks and Mortar Services
If you own a local supermarket offline, then you cannot choose to miss the trend. Hire a grocery app development company and expand your customer reach with a little investment.
3. Affordable Business Model
If you have a limited budget and are looking to start a new business, then this comes with little investment. The cost of an online grocery app is dependent on the features that you may include in the app.
4. Easy Availability for Customers
With online grocery delivery services, it becomes easier for people to get what they need at the doorstep. This does not only reduce the efforts but also ensures that the new normal becomes easier to practice.
5. Different Alternatives at One-Stop
When it comes to talking about the various products, then it becomes easier for people to understand how it works. Suppose there is some product not available then the user can see the alternatives available and buy any of these according to their will.
Grocery delivery mobile app development service is in full bloom in the present day, thanks to the busy schedules and never-ending quest to win in humans. When talking about on-demand grocery delivery app development costs there are a few things that are to be considered such as,
- Business Model
- Features Included
Let’s talk about each of these factors in detail one at a time.
Also, take a look at the Online Grocery Delivery App Business – Challenges & Solutions.
Business Models That Decide Online Grocery Shopping App Cost
The different business models discussed here would help you decide which of these fits your business purpose and decide your grocery app price.
eCommerce Grocery apps:
eCommerce Grocery apps are a great way of buying grocery products irrespective of the user’s location. In fact, customers can choose delivery timings according to their amenities and comfort. These apps are mostly being embraced by the section of online retailer sections and used by the communities that proffer delivery services.
In-store Grocery apps:
Grocery in-store apps use the concept of crafting images of the ambiance of the grocery store. It displays all the categories of grocery products along with their specifications. These grocery apps aid in reconstructing a natural view of the place virtually for providing the basic idea to the consumers about the quality of the grocery products. Therefore, delivers the notification associated with the offers and the discount and location of the store when the users are adjacent.
Personalized Grocery apps:
Personalized grocery app cost is meant to take the shopping experience of the users to a whole new level. These apps help the consumers to create grocery lists, share them with the store, and allow the users to set the items for purchasing. This way users can avail themselves of the products at the moment they require.
Choose any of these models and let your tech partners estimate grocery app cost accordingly. It is important that the choice you make is in-line with your business purpose and helps you earn great profits. If you can’t decide which of these models would fit you the best, you can surely connect with our app developers and make a well-thought decision.
Once you have decided on the business model, the next on the list is the features. Having interesting features would give your app an edge over others and stay in the game for the long run.
Monetization Models for Grocery Delivery App
The main concern of the market leaders is first to develop a profitable product to the marketplace, next to hold a great revenue value to sustain for long in the market and come up with innovative and ideal products in the similar niche to the user.
As the existing market is already competitive, so do businesses come with new solutions to gain good revenue in return.
Let’s see some of the models below:
This is a very generic model, where the vendors combine with other local grocery stores. This model includes all of the functionalities of the vendors to place in their platform, which works effectively as a chain model. Now buyers need not look for other shops or platforms to purchase their items, everything is attainable within a single place. You act as the mediator between the shopper and the owner.
The whole idea of the dedicated model is you are the own controller of your services. It’s the place where other vendors and sellers register at your platform and use your services to facilitate the customers with the services. This platform has its delivery executives.
This is the old but workable model to gain profit for the businesses and to the vendors. Let’s understand how this model works.
In common, for each of the sales on the app, the seller earns a penny of commissions. While a small part of the money is charged to the buyer for buying the goods from the app and the seller for registering on the portal.
This is the very usual model in which the users purchase the membership for a fixed period to gain the benefits of the premium services.
This model allows the vendors to place their ads in the appropriate place at the portal. The admin charges the seller and vendor for running their campaigns.
Instacart is the one-way platform to order all of your groceries at your doorstep. With a range of more than 500+ retailers and local grocers, it is your best companion on the phone. Instacart has offered many membership options to order from different warehouses.
All you need to do is create your account and place your order from the app, that’s easy. The customers get free deliveries at their doorstep.
For the same-day delivery, there is a subscription fee of $3.99 for orders above $35. However, the subscription fees change as per the location. This platform has a unique concept to come up with discounts and offers at casual periods of the year.
Related Post: Shipt Business Model: How Does Shipt App Work?
As a customer what else do you need if you have a delivery pass to buy 60 days free delivery. Plus, on two days you just have to pay $5 off for your orders. Users can browse plenty of products on the platform with the latest entrants in the store. Get your holidays brunch plan or get the beer drinks at your palm right now.
FreshDirect is all you wish. Place any of the top-rated fruits, vegetables, or seafood, modify your orders or discover the new one. Users can place their delivery at their specific time in your place.
What’s more, you wish then, get your list of daily chores at your spot. From the fruits, vegetables, groceries, medicines, meat, and fish, pet supplies, health, and wellness, you can order anything to be delivered at other places also. Get everything under one roof from the local Kirana stores, just place your order at the cart.
At the sale time, Dunzo offered 50% of the sale off on groceries, fruits, and veggies. With the dunzo daily you can get your order within 19 minutes. Dunzo has placed various payment options to their customers including Google Pay, Paytm, Amazon Pay, CRED Pay, Simpl, LazyPay & more.
It has plenty of features to offer to its customers including online groceries, fruits, and veggies, milk or daily dairy, medicines, meat, or even sending packages to loved ones.
Walmart Shopping & Grocery
Shop up your online food and grocery deliveries from the place where you are. Users get their order with some concession in the prices and doorstep deliveries. All you need to do is add an order to the cart.
With the barcode scanner, users can quickly check the prices and add them to the list. Users can reorder their orders or check the status of their orders. For the orders above the limit, there is a small charge of $8 to $10 or pay $13 per month or $100 per year.
Key Features Our Grocery App Development Experts Use
The grocery delivery app market is a competitive field and requires in-depth research of the competition strategy. This would help you see the loopholes in their system and cover them in yours thus, offering a better solution. The features would determine grocery app development costs.
Below are some points that are shedding some light on the aspects of the Grocery Delivery App Development and the basic features of a grocery mobile app.
Grocery App User Panel
The user panel of the solution is specified to the buyer. Our UI/UX designer comes up with a comprehensively navigable, aesthetically strong, and easily used application that ensures that in almost 99% of cases the purchase is made.
With the right blend of buyer’s psychology and technology, we make it a point to deliver solutions that are interesting and engaging.
- User Profile: Log-in and registration can be defined as the very first section. Log in with the email account, phone number or social network credentials for starting with a seamless approach.
- Browse Products: Select a particular product from all the categories of food and grocery products that are listed down with a detailed description.
- Search Products: It allows shoppers to easily identify their goods and items by applying appropriate filters, sorting, and search criteria.
- Schedule Delivery: The scheduled delivery allows selecting a particular time for receiving the orders and deliveries as per the user’s convenience.
- Order Tracking: It keeps the customers aware of the location and the status of the order by delivering all the associated real-time tracking details.
- Order Management: This comes as a great tool for placing orders in a very convenient way. Shoppers can easily glance at their order history and can place the same orders when required.
- Multiple Payment Options: All the payment options are integrated that allow the users to make the payment reliably and conveniently.
- Offer Zone: This is a very interesting section that displays all the offers and discount details for the shoppers allowing them to enjoy the latest deals and offers.
- Feedback & Settings: It contains all the relevant feedback and ratings that are given by the users about their shopping experience.
The user panel of your grocery delivery app needs to include all how it becomes easier for the customers to gain maximum profit in no time.
Grocery App Admin Panel
This is the management’s panel. Here the details of the buyers and the show owners would be displayed in a way that managing the ecosystem becomes easier.
Once the ecosystem is established it becomes easier for people to connect with the app and make purchases.
- Dashboard: It can be said as a one-stop solution for managing and tracking all the orders and activities for making the grocery business very reliable and fluent.
- Manage Stores: It is best for handling chains of multiple restaurants. Manage all the orders and customer counts while residing in a single place.
- Assign Managers: It ensures that all the activities and orders in the grocery store are executed fluently. It allows adding the managers in the workplace for delivering an excellent consumer experience.
- Assign Order: It allows the managers to assign new orders to the grocery stores and ensures that all the orders are executed fluently.
- Manage Customers: Under this section, the grocery business owners can witness and coordinate with all the consumers that are attuned to the app.
- Manage Payments: Manage all the payment models and transparently manage them to set new milestones for grocery businesses.
This panel is the one that you would control. We make it a point to train your team to look into its functionality and operations so that in near future you aren’t dependent on anyone for assistance.
Grocery App Delivery Panel
The stores play a major role in the functioning of a grocery delivery application. We make it a point to deliver solutions that are easy for the stores to accept orders and pack goods easily.
- Delivery Request Notification: It showcases the request for the deliveries that are to be made along with the order number and other associated delivery details.
- Accept or Reject Delivery Request: It allows the driver to cancel or accept the request in case the location of the user is far away and the delivery exceeds the time limit.
- Track Customer Location on Map: The drivers can check the consumer location to identify the best-optimized path for making the deliveries within the stipulated period.
- In-app Chat/In-app Calling: It enables the drivers to establish the communication within an app for fixing the time of delivery and to find out the correct route and destination.
- Get Delivery Confirmation: It allows the driver to update the status of the committed delivery for getting the delivery confirmation from the users and the stores.
- Critical Features (Associated Physical Store): Including physical features would be a part of your online grocery app cost. This would make it easier for you to hold your customers on your app and make purchases.
- Order Notification: In case a particular order is placed, the orders are being notified at the concerned store portals for making the provisions for quick deliveries.
- Inventory Management: Manage all the products and the items that are sold and received on a daily or weekly basis. Furthermore, track the orders supplied and the ones that are still in the queue.
- Accept or Reject Orders: According to the product availability, the number of drivers available, and the pending deliveries, accept or reject the orders.
- Manage Payments: Manage the payments received upon order confirmation or deliveries with the help of different payment gateways and solutions available.
- View Feedbacks: Check out your clientele feedback affixed with your products and services delivered. Furthermore, you can improvise your services as well, as recommended by the client, to make them attuned to the app.
- Customer Support: Answer the queries of your clientele while managing all the other store activities. Hearing them can help a lot in keeping them motivated for availing of your services.
Stores with their digital presence can make better profits with lesser investments.
Grocery App Advanced Features
These were a few important features that define the functioning of the three important elements of your business. If you want to build a stronger business you need to take to the market something new and extra. We share here a few advanced app features that would make it easier for you to stand out from your competition.
Real-time Analytics: Real-time analytics is very useful for extracting out the processed information out of chunks of data stored in the grocery mobile app database. It helps the people governing the grocery stores & admins to check the various associated statistics for making the business flourish. Likewise, it can grapple with the most loved offers and discounts, order categories, user communities that are mostly making the orders, the products most purchased to streamline the growth of the grocery store.
Push Notification: It works great for augmenting user acquisition and retention. The grocery delivery mobile app engineered with push technology works greatly in notifying the user about new grocery products and services. Needless to say, Push notification can prove to be quite transformational in enhancing your business visibility and at the same time keeping your clientele engaged with the app. They can also be sent to the users before the delivery to keep them attentive and alert.
Communication Channels (SMS, Emails, Chat): It is imperative to allow the driver and user to communicate on a transparent platform for sharing the important information like delivery address, nearby landmarks, expected advent time, delay, and everything else associated can be informed to the user, if the open communication channel is established between the two. Talking about the iOS devices, the Apple Push Notification Service is the best one to go for. Push technology when attuned with Twilio, Plivo, etc can help to augment the communication hierarchy to a great extent.
- Kafka Software can be used for managing the data in real-time.
- For storing and caching purposes, Amazon S3 can be used
- For integrating the Python services, GraphWalker can be used. It can also come as a major help in model-based testing.
- For developing the primary platform structure, Google Cloud platforms or Dataproc can be used.
- Nginx, the easy and best open source for implementing on proxy servers.
While developing the Backend, the design and the database architecture must be selected very astutely. Developing the server-side is very difficult and one must adhere to all the latest technical paradigms to build powerful mobile apps that can run on different platforms.
GPS Tracking: The role of GPS (Global Positioning System) cannot be missed out in grocery delivery app development. While taking the help of the maps, the drivers can locate the destination and the miles to be covered. Furthermore, the information can be updated in real-time to the users and the admin as well, to keep them updated and attentive before the deliveries.
Google Maps: It was outlined as the best option for navigation purposes, the major reason being it offers maximized customization benefits and advanced functionalities. However, users can also choose MapKit for the iOS mobile apps and can also select a particular API or SDK if required. The aforementioned technologies also graph sophisticated and descriptive paths plus identify the best-optimized paths and accordingly prescribe various traveling options in a matter of a few minutes.
Payment (Credit, Debit, Wallet, Net banking, Paypal, Braintree): There are distinctive payment gateways that are available nowadays. Braintree, Stripe, PayPal’s Mobile SDK, and Apple Pay can be used in the grocery mobile apps for making the payment procedures transparent and sound. Payments can be done through Credit cards, Debit cards, e-wallet apps, Net banking, Paypal, Braintree, etc. Therefore, provides convenient approaches to the users for making the payments with a very convenient and hassle-free approach.
AI-based Delivery System: When we talk about the current scenario, in the post covid era people avoid taking deliveries from humans. With Artificial Intelligence solutions integrated with your grocery delivery app, you can get groceries delivered by drones.
With the help of complex technologies like AI and ML, it would be easier for you to pack the stuff neatly and get them delivered to your customers.
Our mobile app development experts have been delivering solutions that are technologically advanced and can make you stand out from the crowd. You can always reach us for solutions that use cutting-edge technology and offer products that make it easier for you to survive the competition.
Technology Stack to Consider for Reasonable Grocery App Development Cost India
When you reach the third party to get a reliable solution, the technology stack would play an important role in deciding the grocery app development cost in India. Here are some commonly used tools for various functions that our experts recommend:
- Push Notifications – Twilio, Push.io
- SMS, Voice, and Phone Verification -Nexmo, Twilio
- Payments – Braintree & PayPal, Stripe, EWallets
- Database – MongoDB, Hbase, Cassandra, Postgres, MailChimp Integration
- Cloud Environment – AWS, Google, Azure
- Realtime Analytics – Hadoop, Spark, BigData, Apache Flink, Cisco, IBM
The technology that we use is advanced and updated. With time we have updated our skills, and our tech-geeks are always on the go to provide solutions that are way ahead of time. With a futuristic approach, we have made it big in the market and make sure that you even get to earn high ROI with your product.
Grocery Delivery Mobile App Development Process
Developing a Grocery Delivery App with the aforementioned features is indeed a very toil task, hence it should be developed and processed with all clear-cut approaches and brainstorming planning. Thus, the development model for developing sound and quality grocery apps requires rolling over the following steps:
1. Share Your Idea
We understand you have strategically planned your app and are all set with the features and aesthetics and want your imagination to turn to reality ASAP. But, the issue here is we have to take care of the facts that would define the functioning and navigation of your app.
2. Features and Functions
To reduce the supermarket app development cost, it is important that the features and functionalities to be included in the app are predefined and worked on. With a predefined list, the cost of development time can be controlled.
A prototype of the app is prepared and the functionalities and features are checked. If the prototype looks fine then the real app is worked on. Changes in the prototype can be done several times.
Once the prototype is finalized the app is developed further. The team works on functionality, includes aesthetics as guided, and ensures that the product is better than what you may have imagined.
5. Quality Analysis and Testing
The team of quality analysts and software testing verify the features and functions included. They make sure the product delivered is flawless and doesn’t disappoint you.
After the app is tested and verified it is deployed to you. The grocery delivery app that would be delivered to you would be well tested for its functionalities and be a clear reflection of what you envisioned.
7. After Delivery Support
We understand with ever evolving-technology trends it is quite difficult for you to stick to the same working app all the time. With new trends, you would need to upgrade your app and we can surely help you do so without any extra charges.
Developing a grocery delivery app may need a little time, but experts at Octal IT Solution can assist you in the complete journey and help you earn great profits in no time.
Needless to say, an app processed out of the above phases surely stands out to be the true winner on the grounds of performance and quality. Therefore, it is imperative to find out the best mobile app development company such as Octal IT Solution that can craft out the best in class mobile apps, for making your business abreast in this hyper-competitive marketplace.
Required Team Structure
A Grocery Delivery App Development Company with a team of proficient app developers, UX UI designers, and QA experts is the key to crafting a refined online grocery shopping app development. The app development team must include the following regardless of the hiring and engagement modal.
- Project Manager: He/she must have complete knowledge about the Solution and must be equipped with managerial skills.
- Developers: Android App Developer, iOS App Developer, Back-end App Developers
- Designers: Expert UX/UI designers, Graphic Designers
- Testers: A skilled pool of Quality Assurance Experts with good testing & bug tracking skills
How much does it cost to develop a Grocery Delivery App?
The grocery app development cost can be evaluated with the aid of three factors – App complexity, the number of dedicated platforms required by the app, and according to the country selected. The reason is, different countries have different hourly charges for their people. For instance:
- U.S. based developers: $50 to $250 per hour
- Eastern Europe based developers: $30 to $150 per hour
- India based developers: $10 to $80 per hour
Find the below-defined estimate for your app as well (for developing a reasonable app, with the limited features and Android coding, the cost in India can be calculated based on the below bifurcation of involved activities).
- Technical documentation: ($1000 to $2000)
- UI/UX design: ($1500 to $3000)
- Front-end and Back-end development: ($10,000 to $20,000)
- QA and testing: ($2000 to $4000)
So, calculating all the overhead costs, an average grocery app development cost may be up to $10,000 to $30,000 for a single platform (either iOS or Android). Choosing a cross-platform app or adding more features may raise the grocery app cost up to $50,000. However, spending around $50,000 guarantees your app to stand ahead in the competition.
The Key Takeaway!
Entering the market with a grocery delivery app may sound like a nice idea, but if you don’t add innovation to it, the big names in the market would make the competition tough. Reach to the right tech partners who could take care of your grocery app and help you earn great profits.
At Octal IT Solution, we have a team of developers who can help you bring to the market a native or a hybrid app that too within your budget. You can also reach us for web app development that would only increase your market reach.
Don’t waste a lot of time and hire the top developers today!