Today the demands of people and businesses are changing quite rapidly and owing to the fact that technology is going places right now, it has become easier to fulfil these ever-increasing demands.
One cannot deny that the impact of the internet is huge on every sphere of people’s lives, in fact, today everyone is dependent on the web. Even, businesses enterprises nowadays are using the Internet as a medium to communicate, as they well understand that the Internet helps them in reaching out to every geographical sphere. It is imperative for all of these enterprises to remain constantly updated with rising smart technologies, and even sensors that can be embedded in tech devices, such as consumer durables and mobile phones.
Size of IOT martket in US Img Source- Statista
Now among the many technologies which have been introduced in the past few years, one that has revolutionised the entire world, is certainly the rise of IoT solutions.
As one would know, IoT (Internet of Things), is basically a worldwide network of the interconnected objects which are uniquely addressable & they are based on the standard communication protocols. It integrates conventional technologies, like micro-controllers, sensors, radio frequency identifiers (RFID), bar codes, actuators, GPS (Global Positioning System), internet protocols, satellite technology, etc. into the applications. It can even be understood as inter-networking of the smart devices that are able to greatly impact the updation of e-Commerce.
IoT: The Real Game Changer
Now, this statement can be truer, the Internet of Things technology not just impact consumers but it even affects the IoT solution providers. It changes software development on many levels, also web development. These complex IoT networks set some new challenges for the web developers both in regard to both the front as well as back-ends. Here in this blog, we will go in depth to find about how these IoT systems exactly affect web development and how they are helping in reshaping the web development.
Where does Web Development stand in the arena of IoT?
To understand how IoT and web development are related to each other, you first need to understand this fact that the network of the connected devices relies on web servers. Data that is obtained from sensors is stored in the cloud. With the help of advanced messaging protocols, communication between the devices takes place, and the user interface helps other users in interacting with the connected devices.
Apart from that, a number of IoT devices can display the web content, like User Interfaces on laptops, TVs, smart applications, wearables, and industrial monitors. A few of them are even able to search the web via browsers, like we have Amazon’s Echo with the virtual assistant, Alexa. This way, it is clear that web development is a vital aspect of IoT projects.
How IoT can change web development processes?
Now every person who owns a smartphone must have experienced IoT at one point of time or the other. In fact, it is very much possible that in coming times the businesses enterprises would begin to use a combination of wireless technologies and sensors, to satisfy their customers and take their enterprises towards success. On the part of customers, they would also begin using IoT to avail personalised & customised products & services. Using sensors and analytics, people would be able to track their health and control home appliances. Similarly, in the arena of web development, IoT can contribute to shaping the future efficiently and effectively.
However, there are a number of firms that are still unbeknown of the usage of IoT as it lies somewhere on the expensive side. Also, with most new technologies being advanced with the Internet of Things, it is vital for the web developers to learn about the same and be knowledgeable of it. Now, let’s explore in depth how IoT exactly impacts web development.
Complex web development
The process of web development and designing is going to be a lot more complex with the Internet of Things, as then the users are going to primarily use front-end interface to communicate with devices that are being operated with IoT, such as cameras, sensors and other of smart devices. Numerous websites may also require the complex capability to communicate with back-end databases that are able to store personalised data that can be obtained from IoT devices. This way the page loads quickly and there is no delay in transmission timing in the web development. In coming times, requirements would help web developers in using a powerful language that not only helps to build a dynamic front-end interface but also allows the user to communicate with IoT devices in the back-end.
Efficient Web development team
It is imperative for businesses to find the right set of talent and skills for an effortless web development process. However, it is not that easy. This is the reason that most companies have not yet been a win in the arena of IoT, as there are somewhere stuck in the process to determine the best formula for managing their development teams. However, there are a few strategies to do the same, they are:
- Optimise Development on-the-go: Owing to the massive competition out there, web development teams require to frequently learn as they work on the project. It is vital that web development organisations make efforts to help their development team in optimising their skills by doing the mentorships and by providing training to team members. This will significantly boost the team’s morale.
- Understand coding challenges: Even though codes are being developed rapidly, there still is no set standard. Owing to the same, the web development team may face several coding challenges due to which they might have to struggle every day. Thus, by knowing coding challenges, a strategy can be accordingly formed and right methods can be taken for implementing that significant strategy when required. Project managers must know what kind of coding disciplines would be needed and they can have required technology personnel in their web development team.
- By realising the requirements: Prior to creating website development team, it is vital to determine what kind of expertise you require to begin the successful web development. This way, the organization would be able to find the right talent from an array of talents available out there and then adapt the right inventory of combined coding expertise and best utilise their strengths & weaknesses.
IoT devices that display the web
Several web developers are unaware of the fact that there are many devices that are able to display web content in front of people. So, here let’s find about them.
Personal Assistants: Yes, this is the new trend in the world of computing, i.e. smart voice assistant, like we have Amazon Echo’s Alexa, Microsoft’s Cortana, Google’s Now, and Apple’s Siri. In a home, these assistants come useful operating all appliances and also do small tasks, say ‘Set Alarms’, and more. Using IoT, the web would be able to access bots that are helpful in reading information rather than display it visually.
Smart watches:Now the displays that smartwatches have are really too tiny and they come in a wide range of colors and screen resolutions. Android Watch does have a web browser for the Android Wear, however, the Apple Watch doesn’t have one yet. Now in coming times, there could be a smartwatch that supports multiple web browsers.
Computing devices (with the small displays): Now, devices, like Raspberry Pis have smaller screens and the can well display web content. Here, the context of content can be in the form of web-based device control pages, web pages, and the local dashboard style web displays.
The practices in front-end development on the web don’t have to adapt in ways in order to suit IoT & the other technology advancements. Still, if they do not, then the web would segment into something that can then only be used on desktops and mobiles. This way, it is clear that IoT is a massive breakthrough in the web development arena.
Making lives a lot easier
The proliferation of IoT has opened many opportunities to the businesses to create useful and innovative applications, which would in a way help in making people’s lives easier. Even though more and more companies are integrating IoT development in their workings, but owing to its high cost, many web development firms find it difficult to use IoT with fragile devices.
As of now, organizations are making efforts to enhance their communication and to remove security flaws, thus to prevent seamless integrations. This way, one would not be restricted to using embedded C, as there are several other web tools & technology tools available to use. So, what needs to be considered while creating a new web design with IoT integration?
Below, we have mentioned a few of the techniques that should be considered while developing interactive solutions having IoT interactions.
- Speed Measurability: As it comes to a traditional website, all requests are analysed by a web server. However, in the case of IoT, it has changed the whole scenario, as here the data is transmitted to cloud & connected devices and they allow the users to efficiently communicate.
- Privacy & Security: One common drawback of IoT or the associated solutions is that they offer a way to hackers. Like, if a hacker succeeds in cracking web-connected pattern, then others can also easily crack it. Thus, to maintain security, it is important that designers adopt strict design practices. This, after all, is the responsibility of web developer to integrate the security feature to ensure the security of IoT-based app.
- Power Management: Speaking of IoT devices, what first comes in mind, is certainly battery-powered instruments and wireless operations. For this, fully-fledged power management is essential. After all, those heavy programmes running in the backend, do drain the huge battery and this leads to less user communication. This is why the new layout must be designed for minimising excess power use.
- Strong back-end: It is important that communication between users & IoT devices is very clear. This can be attained by formed with robust back-end design architecture. Each of the devices has several capabilities, data, and commands that operate just according to the inclinations of users. A quality backend receives and transmits data, and it helps the users in communicating with the device in a seamless way.
- Intuitive UI: For an IoT application, it is vital to have a clean, fast and interactive layout. A web designer must work on latest web design practices, however, ensure that design inclusions are meaningful and should support rational workflow. Also keep in mind that new IoT-based design must be compatible with mobiles, so that smart users can benefit from it.
Which industries are most impacted by the Internet of Things?
There are several categories, for which apps are developed. Like, there is an app that is able to monitor your heartbeat levels, number of steps taken by you as you walk in a day, and this belongs to the healthcare industry. Similarly, an app that enables you to shop online, belongs to the retail industry. So, this way there are several categories for which the apps are developed. Right now, the app developers are utilising IoT solution in each of these sectors, thus enhancing productivity.
Industries which have benefited the most with IoT-supported apps are:
- Retail: IoT offers massive opportunities in the arena of transportation and logistics as well. Now both of them are a key part of the retail sector. With IoT, technologies such as accurate location tracking are being integrated. This allows customers to easily track the orders from the app, starting from the shipping to its delivery. For instance, we have the best example of Amazon Go, Amazon’s technology shopping store. As per the study by Zebra 2017 Retail Vision, 87 percent of the retailers are going to deploy the MPOS (mobile point-of-sale) devices by the year 2021. With the help of that, they would be able to scan & accept debit/credit card payment anywhere in their store.
- Energy: Taking an average count, a user tends to spend around two hours daily on the mobile apps on his smartphone. Now the IoT-integrated apps, enable developers to generate even higher engagement in the apps. With IoT-supported apps, users are able to manage the electricity in their homes by sitting far away, as they can manage smart devices, such as smart TVs, smart refrigerator, and even wearable. It is projected that by the year 2020, 1.53 billion of devices are going to be managed by the utility firms.
- Healthcare: With the arrival of IoT, significant changes have been noticed in the healthcare sector. Today, more and more people are conscious and more aware in terms of their health, and IoT-integrated healthcare applications have enabled them to keep track of their health. In fact, 60 percent of healthcare enterprises have already introduced IoT in their healthcare facilities.
Needless to say, with IoT-enabled devices, users are being able to monitor their health on their own, and on top of that, it engages all aspects, starting from the personal healthcare to the facilities in the healthcare institutions, to smart-pills and smart beds.
From their daily routine to a number of steps taken during the day, to their diet, users can track it all. On the other part, healthcare enterprises are able to maintain patient data in these IoT-enabled applications.
Final Note: Considering all of the aspects discussed above, Internet of Things (IoT) tends to be the real game-changer in the arena of technology. It has arrived at the time when users were actually looking for a technology that would add to their convenience. This way, it received a warm welcome upon its arrival from the users as well as the business organisations. In case, you are looking to receive benefits and offer its benefits to your users, then get in touch with a reputed IoT app development firm to create an app of your app.