Among many of the e-Practices in the arena of Healthcare, an integral and efficient one is e-Prescription or Electronic Prescription Solution. It is certainly making healthcare immensely easier and smoother, and its endeavor to connect all of the patient’s healthcare providers, thus it facilitates efficient and accurate decision-making. Moreover, technological advancements have been crucial in influencing the world and have not left the functioning of the healthcare industry untouched.
The best contributions of technology are hospital management systems and e prescription software. These have not only transformed how the healthcare sector works but have made the system more efficient.
With technology being a strong presence in the field of healthcare, e-prescriptions are gaining a lot of popularity. One doesn’t need to visit the pharma shops instead they can simply share the e-prescription and get the medications needed.
- Why e-Prescription Software Needed?
- What Is Prescription Writing Software?
- An ecosystem of e-Prescription Mobile Apps
- What are the features of e-Prescription Software/Mobile App?
- Why do you need to have an e-Prescription Mobile App & who all does it helps?
- Artificial Intelligence and E Prescription Software
- Why is it important to choose right development partner for ePrescription Mobile App?
- Ensure your Compliance & Integration
- What are the purchase options offered for the SaaS-based System?
- Cost to develop a custom e-prescription Software and Mobile app?
- The Key Takeaway
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why e-Prescription Software Needed?
Manual errors can put the patient’s life at risk. Things can go even worse in case there is a gap between provider and pharmacist and handwritings get misinterpreted. So, what channel to choose to bring in all elements on the same page and thus avoiding maximum mistakes & errors, making the work-flow entirely flawless? It is here that e prescription software development comes into the picture.
e-Prescription is Ideal Solution: Having an erx (e-prescription) software including mobile apps, it gets possible to establish an important connection between physicians, other prescribers, pharmacists, patients, and thus it gets easier to support interoperability across the healthcare ecosystem.
E-prescritptions are gaining popularity in the market for the ease they offer. It strikes at the risk of human errors and the right medications are provided. Not just this it also is an environmental friendly solution as one need no pen paper for the same.
Well, to understand the needs of e-prescription software development let’s understand the concept, e-Prescription is basically a process to electronically generate a prescription and send it to a patient or a pharmacist. The prescription which has been generated via e-Prescription is error-free, easily understandable and more accurate. The mobile doctor prescription app aims at reducing the risks which are there in traditional style prescription-writing. As here, there is no involvement of written/oral communication, thus e-Prescribing ensures patient safety and enhances the quality of care. In case, you are keen on getting an e-Prescription Mobile app for your health practice, get in touch with the best e-Prescription App Development Company that is advanced enough to understand your requirements and deliver the desired results.
What Is Prescription Writing Software?
Prescription writing software is a digital medium where the prescription is not given in the hand-written format. It is a solution to most challenges faced by patients, pharmacists, and physicians. The struggle is real and any misinterpretation here would prove lethal.
Avoid Prescription Error
Reading a hand-written prescription is quite a trouble. The most common factors that impact the healthcare quality provided are majorly misdiagnosis, taking medications incorrectly, and incorrect prescriptions.
The prescription errors account for the difficult to read handwritings. An medical prescription app can easily deal with this. An auto-generated drug name, dosage, and form would be easier to comprehend. This would add to the quality of healthcare services provided, with more people benefitting from the advancements in the field.
With most details recorded in the system, it becomes easier to choose the right plan and medication that would provide benefits to the patient. The medical prescription app keeps an account of the privileges, medical history, and drug history that would help to further decide what drugs to prescribe and what not to prescribe.
Automated Clinical Decisions
With medical history being recorded with the prescription writing app it becomes quite easier for the doctors to decide the drugs that can be prescribed to the particular patients. It would consider the allergies, already prescribed medications, etc.
No More Lost Prescriptions
When it comes to revisiting a doctor after a while you may lose your old prescriptions. With medical prescription app, your prescriptions will be saved till time immemorial and you would not have to worry about keeping all these papers filed.
Faster Medical Services
Sometimes all you want is to repeat your prescription. In such cases, the digital prescription software makes it easier for the pharmacists to repeat the prescriptions and give the medicines to the patients. It saves time and energy and also makes the process easier.
When you reach to a mobile app development team to inquire about the doctor prescription software cost, they would share with you various ecosystems that are a major aspect of your app. Now that we have already read about the benefits of e-prescription software let’s see the ecosystem of the same for better understanding.
An ecosystem of e-Prescription Mobile Apps
Customized e-Prescriptions Software and mobile apps come helpful to prescribe and refill in real-time, and real fast.
The medicine prescription app offers benefits for the associates like:
Healthcare Consultant: They can immensely benefit from the patient-oriented websites and apps as they are able to store, share, and securely view assessment records.
Pharmacists: Well, they will be able to deliver great services only when they are not confused while delivering the correct prescription in coordination with patients and physicians.
Hospital & Care provider: By having an elctronic prescription app or a website, they will know where to stretch the limit of accuracy and it gets easier fetching past records.
Hospital & Care provider: By having an electronic prescription app or a website, they will know where to stretch the limit of accuracy and it gets easier fetching past records.
Physicians: These apps allow physicians to avoid the ambiguity of any kind and treat patients in the most accurate manner. With customized medical prescription app, it is possible to enhance the quality and safety of the prescription process. A prescription can be easily converted into a digitalized file and can be sent across pharmacy.
Patients: Well, there are categorized into two divisions: In-patient (admitted in the hospital) & Out-patient (also known as OPD, they are outdoor patients, not admitted to the healthcare facility). Doctor prescription software can help patients view new prescriptions, medication timing, as well as order medicine from nearby pharmacies.
This results in:
- Better efficiency: Minimizes time taken by pharmacy technicians to interpret handwriting or enter information manually. It also eliminates pharmacist-to-physician follow-up calls.
- Enhanced Patient Safety: No more need for the pharmacists to unravel handwritten prescriptions and this minimizes the potential for errors.
A medical prescription app is set up in a way that brings the complete healthcare ecosystem together under one roof and offers various benefits that reflect in great results.
What are the features of e-Prescription Software/Mobile App?
A lot of changes have been noticed in the way this healthcare industry functions, with there being a myriad of medical mobile apps and software introduced to make the proceedings smoother and efficient. Thus, this digital prescription app and mobile apps are bringing in revolutionary changes in traditional styles of practitioners, doctors, pharmacists & even patients.
e-Prescription Software/App Features: Doctor Panel
- Receive Alerts: Doctors will receive relevant alerts whenever their appointment is due, dosage time, and for various crucial aspects.
- Known allergies: Stores patients allergies and this database help doctor in crosschecking before prescribing a new medicine to the patients.
- Access Medicine Database: Best e prescribing software offers a comprehensive medicine database, it is easier to search by brand and generic drug names, class, specialty, alphabetically, as well as a favorite-list, can be created.
- Generate Refill requests: This feature saves providers from verbally or manually requesting refills for patients, while the pharmacist doesn’t need to contact a practice repeatedly to verify a renewal.
- New RX: In case, there is no requirement refills, the doctors can provide new e-prescription to the pharmacists that will be implemented for the in-patients.
- e-Cancel: It allows the doctors to cancel the prescribed medicines electronically, in case the new medicines need to be prescribed to in-patients, while the out-patients (OPD) can also submit e-cancellation request online.
- Pending List: This list in the medical prescription app keeps the doctors in the loop about the pending medication list about a particular patient, like when the course one is over, they can prescribe the next course from that list.
- Dose calculator: This section keeps the doctors informed about the calculated dose that needs to be given to the in-patients.
- Electronically Send Prescriptions: Send electronic prescriptions to any connected pharmacy management system. Refill requests can be accepted or denied with just a single tap on screen & allow to send comments to pharmacists electronically.
- Controlled Substances Prescriptions: Medical prescription app for doctors electronically prescribes and tracks controlled substances, such as opioids. This ensures their effective usage and eliminates poor-record-keeping which may lead to drug abuse.
Note: Research shows that in 2016, 45.3 million prescriptions for controlled substances were electronically delivered, thus it reflects a 256% rise from 12.81 million controlled substance e-prescriptions in 2015.
- Eliminate prescribing errors: Robust medical prescription application detects out-of-range dosing & duplicate drugs, like if there are two prescriptions for the same drug or prescriptions for two drugs in the same class. They generate alerts to potential safety issues & describe the seriousness of the issue.
- Medical demographics: Demographics can be viewed and your feed can be accessed in the required widget. The patient process is also analyzed which results in connected care.
- Customizable Views: Robust toolbars of your e prescribing app enable sorting by any field. Put together the same medication names, visit dates & filter data.
- Generate Reports: It can generate patient-specific/practice-wide reports in Excel, Word, PDF or any of these files formats: HTML, MHT, RTF, XLS, XLSX, CSV, Text or Image file.
- Re-Prescribing: With just a single click, it is possible to re-prescribe one or many medications from history in the same format prescribed in the past.
Related Blog: How to enable Remote Doctor Appointment App Development
- Documentation Capabilities: Documentation of patient’s medication adherence is improved with doctor prescription reader app by tracking what medications are ordered and when, and also when a prescription is filled or refilled. EHRs integrated with e-prescribing capabilities are able to log this information, create a detailed view of patients’ care over time.
- Patient Prescription History: It stores all medications prescribed for patients. It is used to sort & organize, with the help of robust tools, by date, status, drug name, and more. There are color code medications by status, like purpose for changes in dose, then tan for discontinued medications, and there is a lot more.
These are a few features of your digital prescription app that make it quite easier for the doctors to focus on more critical cases and attend as many patients as they can in a single day.
E-prescriptions are making it really easy for the people to get the solutions that are interesting and engaging. They offer the clients an ease of being healthy at the ease of their homes. Not just this once your e prescription is uploaded it records your medical history too. Thus other doctors need not worry about allergies or old medications.
Software/Mobile App Features: Caretakers/Nurses
It is the nurses who are responsible for the care of in-patients and this panel proves greatly helpful to them in managing the proceedings well.
- Known allergies: This panel will keep the nurses aware of the known allergies of each in-patient so they can be careful during the care.
- Medication history: It keeps the nurses in the loop regarding the medication history of the patient, so they are clear about how many dosages have been provided and other crucial information.
- Refill Request: Nurses can send refill requests to the pharmacists via e prescription software as the medication is near over and more dosages need to be provided to patients.
- Medication Doses: Through this panel, nurses and caretakers will have a clear idea about the medication dosages that need to be given to the patients with appropriate dosage calculation.
- Medication Timing: The nurses will receive alerts about when the medication needs to be offered to the in-patients.
Software/Mobile App Features: Pharmacist Panel (For In-Patients & Out-Patients)
- Patient details: All the relevant details related to a patient can be found in the system.
- Known allergies: Stay aware of the known allergies of the patient, so to be able to provide drugs accordingly.
- Doctors Details: Online prescription app offers information such as physician information for reference, insurance & personal details, also allows referring the current e-prescription and the patient status. Besides, past assessment records can be filed easily and presented sans any manual efforts.
- Prescription (Text or Image): The prescription is received by the pharmacists electronically in the form of text or an image:
- New orders: New orders requests can be received from the app itself.
- Accept orders: Accept order requests from the e-prescription mobile app.
- Delivered orders: There is a separate section displaying orders delivered by the pharmacist.
- Track shipment: Pharmacists can track the status of their shipment from the app itself and ensure speedy delivery of drugs.
- Received Payment: Medical prescription app reflects the details of payment received in the lieu of drug delivery.
- Prescription History: Past order history can be checked from this section.
- Drug Database: With there being a comprehensive drug database, it is easier to search by brand and generic drug names, class, specialty, alphabetically, as well as a favorite list, can be created.
- Check document: Documentation of provided medication is improved with electronic prescribing by tracking what medications are delivered and when.
- Online Payments: Order status can be tracked online and patient payments can also be collected even after they have left the clinic, with an e-payment integration system into the app.
Software/Mobile App Features: Out-Patient Panel
- Upload test reports: Patients can upload the test reports into the mobile prescription app to connect with doctors and pharmacists and request for appropriate medication.
- Check prescription: Medical prescription printing software allows patients to check for a prescription from anywhere and anytime.
- Medication: Patients are aware of the medication timing and the right dosage.
- Prescription history: The prescription history is stored in the app, so the patient can consult about the same with another doctor as well.
- Place orders: Order can be placed online via the app.
- Track orders: Order status can be tracked online.
- Order history: Patients can have a look at the order history whenever needed.
- Payment options: A number of payment options are made available to patients to make in-app payments, such as Credit Cards, PayPal, Stripe, Braintree, etc.
- Fax to the pharmacist: In case, the facility is not available to send an electronic prescription to a pharmacist, a patient can always send fax.
- Patient Education: Patients are often curious to know about the medicine they are taking, and a robust e-prescription software system provides answers to both practitioners and patients. e-Prescribing systems must be able to connect to the pharmacy databases in order to locate information about alternative medications, possible side-effects, and comparative costs.
- Medicine Details: Boosts patient’s health understanding and compliance with their medical condition outside the doctor’s clinic.
- Dashboard: It offers information such as physician information for reference, insurance & personal details, also allows referring the current e-prescription and the patient status. Besides, past assessment records can be filed easily and presented sans any manual efforts.
- View Insurance Coverage: Status of insurance coverage, co-pays, & class alternatives are made available to the patients.
When talking about the e prescribing software cost all these features are included and they help you run a reliable, credible, safe and secure healthcare business.
Why do you need to have an e-Prescription Mobile App & who all does it helps?
With an e-Prescription mobile app, it gets possible to get connected electronically, which allows accessing patient medication history, receive electronic refill requests, send error-free prescriptions, view prescription insurance formulary information, and also comprises of all information on electronically-connected pharmacies.
When e-prescription software and e-prescription apps are developed at an experienced e-Prescription Mobile App Development Company, it enables physicians to generate & send accurate e-prescriptions from any of the computer or smartphone with internet connectivity. It saves time, improves communication, and also increases patient satisfaction. Hence, there is a lot an e-Prescription mobile app can offer your Healthcare Practice ranging from pharmacists, patients, and pharmacies.
So let’s how it benefits them all:
E-Prescription Software /Mobile App Benefits to Prescribers:
- It allows easy follow-up with patients in case of their health status and to provide support.
- Review a patient’s history and current medication & healthcare information.
- Generate a complete medication list with dosage and other important details
- Transmit efficient and safe prescriptions with just a few taps.
- ePrescription software saves recurring prescription formats for re-use thus making the process quicker
- Makes the understanding of patients history easier, even when they have seen by another doctor
- e-Prescription mobile app/software is able to remember your favorite drugs thus you can fill the prescriptions easily and quickly
- Enables single-click access to PDR and FDB drug references
- Makes it possible to avoid CMS E-Prescribing penalties
- It checks automatically for drug-to-drug interactions, drug side-effects & drug allergies.
- Does it allow easy access to patients health records & medication history.
- It streamlines workflow processes and facilitates more mobility, as by having e-Prescription apps on their mobile devices, prescribers will be able to write & renew prescriptions from just anywhere
- With e-Prescription software, it gets nearly impossible to tamper with prescriptions
- Time-saving for doctors as well as their patients and staff
An online prescription software offers accurate, safe & reliable service as compared to paper prescription and also ensures safety and medical compliance, and reduces healthcare costs. It is a powerful tool that helps in managing patients’ records & medications efficiently & safely.
E-Prescription Software/ Mobile App Benefits to Patients:
- Fast & easy account creation & set-up
- There is a built-in Pharmacy look-up to find pharmacies that provide particular drugs or medicines.
- It offers a built-in dosing calculator.
- Marks pharmacy from where the prescription will be filled.
- Renews prescriptions or can modify old prescriptions.
- It enables simple refill patients can request for refills via the system, thus no need for time-consuming phone calls and appointments
- It is flexible & convenient for the patients as they can get the advice and medications quickly.
- Increases the convenience of patients
E-Prescription Software/ Mobile App Benefits to Pharmacists:
- Receive electronic prescriptions
- Receive electronic refill requests
- No confusion in delivering the correct prescription
- In coordination with physicians and patients.
- No need to unravel handwritten prescriptions
- Reduced chances for errors
- Eliminate pharmacist-to-physician follow-up calls.
- Lesser time entering information manually or interpreting handwriting
- Track Shipments
- Receive online payments
These are a few benefits of the e prescription applications. Along with these benefits using the right technology to get better results is a must. Our experts implement AI based solutions with your product to make sure that you take to the market what is expected of you.
Artificial Intelligence and E Prescription Software
With artificial intelligence being a part and parcel of the healthcare sector since the time immemorial, it being the part of e prescription and medical delivery is still a little slow. When it comes to talking about the role of AI in your product we take care of the following features.
Easy to Read: The application would read the handwritten prescriptions easily and record them in your medical history. Almost 100% data extraction is accomplished without any confusion in the work. This let’s the patient have a record of the drug intake in their history and also, the physician can review the medical history.
Processing Improvements: AI and ML solutions help in analysing the demands and needs of the end users. Also, they help the experts research for better advancements and stronger solutions in less time. If you want to have a solution that makes it easier for the end users to communicate with physicians and pharmacists then, AI based solutions are the products you are looking for.
Future Use Cases: When it comes to talking about the future use cases, AI and ML have a wide scope here. With virtual appointments and consultation, eprescription application needs to be advanced too.
Our experts make it a point to bring on the screen solutions that are interesting and can add value to your product. We believe it is high-time that we should move to solutions that are futuristic and scalable.
With technologies like Natural Language Processing, Robotic Processing Automation, Voice and Image search, etc. expanding their scopes, we are expecting stronger, efficient and more acute solutions in the nearing future.
Why is it important to choose right development partner for ePrescription Mobile App?
As you begin your search for the right e-Prescription App Development Company, ensure that the firm offers these integral features, such as Speedy execution, Simple & Appealing design, friendly support, easy-to-use, feature-rich, efficient processing on all devices (tablets, mobile & desktops), suitable for both web and mobile apps, mobile-ready strategy (suits both Android & iOS apps), Integrated with EHR system of the healthcare practice, HIPPA, HL7 compliant, Integrated with EPA (Electronic Prior Authorization), and Certified with EPCS (Electronic Prescription for Controlled Substance).
It is important that the organization you partner with not only offers you better solutions but is available for discussion as and when required. It could be possible that one needs to connect with developers or others in the team at wee hours. Since the client could be from another country or city there could be a difference of the time zone.
At Octal IT Solution, we offer round the clock availability and make sure to check the modifications as and when required. The QA team ensures that each element of the application that you may take to the market is designed considering your target audience.
Our on demand mobile app development team, delivers products that have great UI/UX that engages your audience and keeps you steps ahead of your competition. We understand the importance of aesthetics in a solution and bring on the screen an easily navigable and comprehensive solution.
Note: EHRs integrated with e-prescribing capabilities is able to log this information, create a detailed view of patient’s care over time.
Ensure your Compliance & Integration
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Health Level 7 International (HL7) Food and Drug Administration (FDA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) HITECH’s Meaningful Use Stage 1 and 2 (MU-1 & MU-2) Integrated with EPA (Electronic Prior Authorization), and Certified with EPCS
We make it a point to bring on the screen solutions that abide by all the laws of the state and international level.
What are the purchase options offered for the SaaS-based System?
Well, most e-Prescription App Development companies offer three options: Monthly, Annually & Flat Purchase.
The cost includes installation, training & technical support with updates and upgrades.
Cost to develop a custom e-prescription Software and Mobile app?
Numerous factors go into consideration for determining the cost to develop an e-Prescription Software, after all, its a huge system, that requires a lot of integration.
However, the factors that mainly affect the development costs are:
- Basic Features & Functionalities
- Additional & Advance Features
- Third-Party API Integrations
- Certifications & Compliances
- Development Partner Location
- Size of the development team
So, if you are ready to enter the market with such an app, hire the best e-prescription software development team that can help you lead the market as you wish.
The Key Takeaway
So, if you are ready to enter the market with such an app, hire the best e-prescription software development team that can help you lead the market as you wish. Hiring a third party developer that can take care of your business is a tough decision to make. Take care of various aspects like what other clients say, what ex clients say, what employees say, check portfolio and check technology stack before you proceed. It is important the team that works for your project takes it as its own and checks the functioning before deploying it to you.
Frequently Asked Questions