Today staying in touch with your loved people and other people have become extremely easy with numerous messaging and chat apps being at our disposal. These apps are extremely available, rich in features and very much secure, thus makes staying close a lot more fun.
Apps like Telegram, Messenger, WhatsApp have successfully bewitched their apps and they secure top spots in the app ranking globally. Needless to say the competition is really fierce out there in this arena, making it tough for the business to earn fame. Meanwhile, here in this post, we will be exploring how you can gain instant fame in the arena of messaging apps, by introducing an app of your own and make it a huge success.
So, what all do you require to succeed in the messaging app business?
Well, this article guides you to develop a kind of messaging app that is a precursor for an even better messaging mobile app.
Let’s see how:
How to develop a Messaging App like Telegram?
Creation is a word than can have different definitions in the field of mobile app development arena. Like it can be about developing a messaging app from ground zero in the form of rewriting the whole code or creating it with the help of online tools, protocols, APIs and libraries. You also need to be sure from the start whether you want to develop your own app or outsource the app. You can assign the ace app developing agencies with the task of creating a masterpiece app for you. Meanwhile, the main areas to consider are as follows:
You also have to be sure about the platform for which you are going to develop the app. Whether you are going to develop it for the iOS or Android or Windows or in most of the cases, all of them. The basic functionality of an app depends mainly upon infrastructure in the form of databases, RestFul API, storage servers, messaging protocols like that of XMPP, notification services etc.
Related Blog: How to Create a Mobile App like – Instagram?
Basic features of Messaging app like telegram
The days are gone when people used messaging apps only for chatting, now-a-days, people browse merchandise plus they get all the interesting contents within the texting apps. Brands and various businesses look to unlock new exciting marketing ways in order to attract more and more users. There is a set pattern of features that appears on a chatting app. Sharing of images, group chats, video calls, social login buttons and some other.
Advanced Features for Messenger App like Telegram
- The mobile app, desktop app, PWA: This platform is easily available for desktop, mobile, web for the users to download and use any version of a specific platform.
- GPS integration: GPS is integrated in hardware system which allows the users to share their exact location with their friends and other users.
- Cloud storage integration: For increasing the security barriers, Cloud storage will be integrated in the system. Cloud storage stores the user data for future purposes.
- End to end encryptions: End to end encryptions are another way of keeping the data secure. In this the information will be encrypted from end to end and only 2 party can access that piece of information.
- Multiple accounts: Users have the access to creating multiple accounts within a single app. User are allowed to use 2 or more than 2 numbers and maintain their contacts with various accounts.
- Video streaming: It allows users to stream videos according to their choice. There is no need of downloading the videos in order to view them.
Related Article: Cost of Developing an Instant Messaging App like Wha
- Two-step verification: This is very helpful in making a specific account secure with the two-step verification. Providing the password is necessary every time a person logs in.
- Lock chat: This is one of the most popular features which skies a person to secure his conversations with other people. The user needs to provide the password every time he login from a new device.
- Make own GIF: As you understand by the heading that it allows users to create their own GIF and share it with other users.
- Contact integration: Next step in this process would be to import your contacts from your address book to the app as there is a need of the app if you cannot find anyone to talk to. This step needs to be fast and quick. The more friends you text, greater will be the number of people who will think of using it.
- Profile customization: Profile provides a sense of individuality to a specific person. In this app, a person can change names and their nicknames, patterns, background colors, or select an avatar picture from camera roll or you can also take a picture on that instant. In most of the apps, People are allowed to check out user status, their online status, their last seen and also if they are typing something.
- Messaging: This feature operates via the internet connection but if someone goes offline then they can receive their texts as soon as they come back online. In addition to that, texts can also have statuses like delivered, failed, seen, edited. This is the latest feature in most of the application which allows a person who is sending a text to keep track of his message. So if you are looking to make your app different from others, you can consider providing users with both kinds of chatting options – private and public. In public chats, a person can become an admin and create a group of friends to talk to and share pictures and videos. Within groups, you can also create subgroups of some specific persons you want to chat.
As everyone out there knows the basic function to a messaging app is to exchange texts with other users but if you want to stand out from the crowd then you need to provide function that will store the conversation history.
For messenger apps, this boils down to the aspect that chat histories and various files sent by friends will get stored in the cloud so that the user can access it at any point of time they want to. This feature is of great use to the users who use more than one device on a particular messenger account, those who accidentally delete the app or those who lose their phones. A quick search is an option that helps you track the conversation that took some while ago and you can also search for friends, GIFs, media files and anything other you need.
Voice messaging is another feature that can be implemented within the app. This is a simple feature via which a user can send messages through voice media. Friends can exchange messages within them without typing anything.
- Video and voice call: Video and voice calling are one of the basic reasons that make these apps more interactive, giving users an option to interact with their friends without keeping a check the call rates and bills. Here are some of the important video and voice options that an app can offer:
- Voice calls: Voice calling allows users to keep on touch with their friends for free via voice calls even if they live in another country. Users can speak to each other but they can’t see each other’s face.
- Video calling: Visual communication is offered between the users. A Video call needs a speedy internet connection and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and that includes video of the user who made the call. A person can easily get in touch with friends and relatives even by living far away from them.
- Group Calls: Users can hold group conversation with audio and video.
- Media file transmission: Texts and emojis are alright but people like to share various other types of media which include stickers, photos, and GIFs. The picture is a great source of conveying a message in a quick time particularly in a real-time chat app. Stickers are other sources of monetization for messaging apps.
- Push notifications: Notifications is the must-have a feature that need to be implemented in an app during the time of its MVP development. They act as a direct line of contact between the app and its users. These texts come in handy by keeping the users active within that app and let them know whenever a new text arrives or a friend comes online.
- Group Admin: There should not be any leniency offered in this matter. There should be strictness and privacy as admin should be able to control the chat that occurs and also prevent spamming in the group. The admin has the final say in the decision of allowing or not allowing the members to manage the group. He has the power to disbar a member of the group. Group chat is used mainly for business purposes.
- Timely Alerts: Sending in timely alerts about a text you receive or when there is a text in the group, should be one of the main features of any messaging app. These alerts play a key part in real-time communication. Even the updates for the app are delivered via alerts. If you want to develop an app that will win over the audience than you need to pay extra attention to your notifications section.
- Search: This feature should make the life of users a lot easier by helping them to search for texts and important files from within the messenger or inside a group.
- Security features: The utmost aim of a group chat application should be that of securing the data of the users. You should invest some good amount of money in protecting the texts, encrypting data to be secured from others.
- Delete the message: Something we send out some texts that we don’t want to. So, to make sure the person doesn’t receive the text, we need to introduce a text deleting option in order to undo some texts.
- Group Calls: Group Calls can prove to be big addition to any app and take it to the next level. It enables the members of a group to hold a group call within them without even exiting the app. This feature is very much desirable among the current users.
- Sharing & Storage: When you get information that is jaw-dropping, you tend to share it with your friends. Unlimited files should be allowed to be shared via the required number of devices.
- Payment Integration: Payment functionality features like QR-Scan Code, Native in-app payments and online direct payment are crucial in such an app.
- Sponsorship: Sponsorship combines with advertisers to give away rewards to the users for completing some in-app actions. This approach helps advertisers to gain some inroads inside the app by giving away rewards for their users, who can earn more rewards by using more of the app. The app earns money by taking a share of this revenue the rewards. Like for example, branded stickers are used by many companies to promote products like upcoming movies or new cuisines. This strategy tends to work better because its main purpose correlates with the app’s motive.
- Chat SDK & Messaging API: Making the collaboration platform intuitive and more retentive for Chat integration API on third party platforms and multi-platforms for iOS, Android and Web applications.
- Make it Personal: Additions of some settings needs to be done to round off a mobile app. Some apps out there allow you to customize your personal experience by changing of wallpapers, statuses, and notifications. Migration of data is also available in case someone wants to change his phone number or delete his account on a permanent basis. Back up of charts and media files can be kept in the settings menu. Some apps use your phone’s internal storage instead of a remote server to store the chat history and extra data like videos and photos you receive. If someone turns backup off and uninstall the app, the data will disappear.
Some basic ways to generate revenue via the messaging app
Subscription fees: A customer needs to pay the subscription fees in order to access an app. An app used to change $0.99 per year after providing a one year free trial period. The large user base is of high importance in order to earn some substantial amount of revenue. But since most of messaging apps nowadays are free, subscription fees are seen as a barrier as it bars people from utilizing an app.
Advertising: This is an excellent way of earning some money via an app. This is one of the most efficient methods to capture the user’s attention. Along with earning a few dollars, one downside of advertising is that ads pop up in between and annoy the users. In this case, one can offer to disable these ads at some cost. This monetization method is quite effective as it provides a good channel to marketers for showcasing their apps and reach out a wide user base.
In-app purchases: You can charge the people for any extra feature they ask for. Paid stickers are one such feature that are on high demand and have become one of the major sources of revenue for a large number of apps. This marketing strategy is a win-win situation for both entrepreneurs and users. Messenger can also be used to sell various other customization options like wallpapers, filters and themes.
In-App Money Transfer:
Games: Games are another source of revenue for some apps. Users have the luxury of playing video games directly within chat threads.
Cost to develop a messaging app like Telegram:
Talking about the actual mobile app development cost, it can be measured in dollars/hour. It is vital to find out what is going to be the average development cost as per the region, which differs as per the markets in UK, USA, Eastern Europe, Western Europe & India.
- North America — $60-250 per hour
- United Kingdom — $60-150 per hour
- Western Europe — $40-120 per hour
- Eastern Europe — $20-100 per hour
- India — $10-80 per hour
This way, the final cost is certain to be around $20000-$25000 for one platform, if you decide to choose the developers in the Indian region, however, for both the platforms iOS & Android, the cost may reach $50000.
Related Article: Cost of Developing an Instant Messaging App like Whatsapp
Related Blog: How to Create a Mobile App like – Instagram?