The impact of technology on the businesses is all pervasive. It has greatly modernized the way business enterprises approach their workday. One of the major effects that this evolving technology has had on businesses is going paperless.
The use of paper documents has become obsolete. A lot of business enterprises have made the necessary shift by moving from paper to digital documents. Given they are safer and practically easier to access, the concept is gaining quick traction. However, at the same time, many conventional enterprises are finding it difficult to make the transition. Well, the best way to get things off the ground is through implementing well-designed document management software and mobile application.
What is a Document Management Software?
In simple words, Document Management Software (DMS) is software that allows you to easily store, manage, track and access your electronic documents from anywhere and at any time. These systems make tiresome jobs such as creation, archiving and distribution of documents exceedingly simple and straightforward. All the paper documents can be easily scanned and stored into the DMS for hassle-free sharing, editing, and tracking.
Benefits of Using Document Management Software
Document management software is a “smart” business practice that comes with an array of priceless benefits. Let’s have a look.
- Reduced Physical Storage
Considering how expensive it is becoming to lease office space, paying for additional space just to stock up your paper documents is certainly not a good idea. With a document management system, you can easily scan and upload all your important documents and retrieve your office space for other necessary purposes.
- Centralizing Document Management
Traditionally, business enterprises had to preserve their stacks of paper files by storing them in different cabinets and enterprise resource planning module, there is no longer a need for observing this tiresome and messy job. All the document management is streamlined and any specific file can be effortlessly searched and reclaimed.
- Powerful Document Indexing
Regardless of how well-organized and streamlined your paper filing system is, there is always a possibility of error. But document management software comes with powerful document indexing capabilities that help you in organizing your files in a much more sorted manner. You can locate any file, even the ones that are decades old in a couple of seconds, thus greatly improving efficiency.
- Complete Security
Paper documents can be stolen or destroyed. Thus, you cannot always be sure when it comes to security. However, a DMS Module ensures complete security of all your confidential data by integrating features such as restore, backup, versioning, etc. Furthermore, you can keep a track of who viewed the document and all the modifications made in the file’s history. The documents are fully protected from calamities, fires, disasters as they are safely stored in the system.
- Fast Deployment
Often, business owners abstain from making any kind of management changes fearing it would result in losing their valuable time. But deployment of a well-designed document management software development is way easier and faster than you may realize.
Features of a Robust Document Management System
- Browser Access– You can access the software from your desktop and easily upload your files into the system.
- Mobile Access– You can access your files using a tablet or mobile device. This also encourages quick image capture of documents and fast uploads.
- DMS Mobile App – Building a native DMS mobile application for iOS & Android devices to manage and Securely access your documents stored in your on-premise DMS server.
- Document Tracking & Audits– This feature allows you to view a document’s path and pull out detailed reports on the same. This includes the name of the user, date and time when it was last accessed, changes made to the document along with the comments left by the user.
- Seamless Sharing– This allows you to seamlessly share any document with the rest of your team members.
- Powerful Search– A powerful search engine allows you to precisely browse your business files and filter results, thus saving a great deal of time in the long run.
- Document Notifications– This notifies you whenever a user adds, views or edits any document.
- Document Version Control– This feature eradicates the need for storing multiple versions of the same document. You can preview all the different versions made, and at the same time, alert every member about the latest version.
- Backup & Restore– The entire production system is backed-up so that it can be easily restored after a disaster.
- Digital Signatures– Documents can be digitally signed to expedite the working operations.
- Full-text Indexing– Complete contents of all documents in the repository are indexed to maximize performance and offer instant search results.
- Check-in and Check-out– This feature allows several team members to work on the same file in a such a manner that no data is misplaced or overwritten. The members can view the status of the document and know if that particular document is being worked on and by whom.
- Markup and Redaction– Certain parts of the document can be marked and hidden only to be viewed with proper permission.
- Profile & Metadata– Metadata helps in adding vivid information to the document, making it much easier to categorize, store, track and retrieve.
- Document Importing– The software can be connected to all your shared locations such as desktops and servers which help in automatically importing all the documents. Once imported, the documents can be shared, searched and edited by your team members.
- Scanning and Imaging– This feature allows you to scan the documents using your desktop’s scanner and simply upload them into the DMS using the browser.
- Task Manager– Task manager allows you to automate and schedule repetitive business processes and administrative tasks to enhance productivity.
- PDF Creation– DMS allows you to easily create a PDF file. Additionally, you can add text, date, checkbox, textbox, etc. for further customization.
- Outlook Email Management– You can easily link your outlook account with the DMS to view all your emails without having to switch.
- Email Archive– This feature allows you to archive old and obsolete emails which you wish to maintain but do not want to view while browsing the daily emails. This enhances the performance as the archived emails continue to exist in the repository but are stored in a separate area.
- Document Preview– Document preview allows you to view the contents of all common file formats such as Excel, Word, PDF, Emails, Audio, Video, etc. without their native applications.
- Document Reminders– You can set reminders to be notified about a specific document on a specific date.
- Bulk upload– Generally, businesses need to upload documents in a bulk rather than one-by-one which is extremely time-consuming. With this feature, you can upload hundreds of documents in a single go.
Document Management System – Adoption Model
- Software-as-a-Service (SAAS)
Cloud-based document management software is hosted by your service provider and it can only be accessed through the internet. You need to log in to the system through any device- desktop, smartphone or tablet, with an internet connection. It is like a service that charges you on the basis of the amount of storage, number of features and users you subscribe to for a specific monthly fee. In this, the service provider is liable for the software maintenance and regular upgrades sans any additional cost. However, you need to make sure that you have a secure internet connection before subscribing to the service. Also, with a cloud-based DMS, there is no need for an adept IT team for software installation and keeping it bug-free. All the data is stored in the cloud which can be accessed from anyplace, at any time.
- Custom Or Self-hosted
If you opt for self hosted custom software and mobile app development, the system is stored on the servers of your own company. This enables you to store and manage as many documents as your server allows. It eradicates the need of paying a monthly fee as all the payment is done at once, i.e. at the time of purchase. This setup is especially feasible if you deal with confidential data. Also, with custom software, you can outline your precise requirements and get a fully personalized solution to match your exact needs. You can even get a DMS mobile app development for the same that allows you to access your documents through your mobile app on the go.
Our Development Process
Observing an acknowledged software development process in tandem with smartly selected technologies is the key to developing an endearing product.
You need to begin with validating your idea so as to make sure there is a demand for your product. Learn about your target market, demographics, their needs and preferences along with the growth prospects in order to develop a robust prototype that demonstrates the visual architecture of your product.
- Project Scoping
This step involves holding various discussions with the software development team in order to clearly delineate the project scope and expectations of the client. It also involves outlining a comprehensive project timeline so as to avoid any deferments later on.
Wireframing allows you to have a detailed visual architecture of the software with all its pages. This is a necessary step that will define the software’s functionality and help the designing team to carefully interpret your expectations.
This step involves designing an interactive UI that makes the users stick to your app. All the important design elements such as the logo, fonts, styling, colors, etc. will be fleshed out at this point to check how the software looks aesthetically. You can also take feedback on the app’s appearance and usability before moving on to the next stage.
During this stage, the development team begins to define the back-end of the software. This is the most important stage and should be closely monitored. Any major iterations made during this can lead to an increase in the cost of the project.
- Beta Testing
After the development of the software, it is imperative to test it for performance, functionality, and optimization. It is tested under various conditions to make sure that it is absolutely bug-free and proffers an enriched user experience.
Preparing for the launch of your software is very important as it greatly determines its success. You need to get in touch with the right marketing team that is capable of arousing interest amongst the users.
After launching the DMS software, it is extremely important to gather user feedback to keep a check on your app’s usability and performance. You can utilize inbuilt analytics to track downloads, user retention and engagement to improve the app and enhance the user experience.
Required Team Structure
Developing a customized data management system is an intimidating task that requires the right set of professionals with exemplary expertise. Thus, it is imperative to get in touch with a reputed customized ERP software development agency that employs a squad of astute technicians that focus on providing you with an on time and goal-based delivery.
Project Manager – He should be equipped with shrewd managerial skills and be well aligned with the industry standards and practices. He should be capable of finding fecund solutions to all kinds of problems.
Designers– Graphic Designers, UI/UX Designers
Testers– A smart team of testers and skilled Quality Assurance experts for proffering a seamless user experience
DMS Software & Mobile App Technology Stack
DMS Software & Mobile App Development Cost
The cost of developing a Document Management System largely depends upon the type of functionality that is integrated into it. Also, it is imperative to understand that the development cost also depends upon the region in which it is being developed. Every country has different labor costs and in places where the labor cost is high, the overall cost of development shall also escalate. Below are some of the most popular areas along with their labor costs per hour.
U.S. based developers: – $50 to $250 per hour
Eastern Europe based developers: – $30 to $150 per hour
India based developers: – $10 to $80 per hour
The above discussion points out that India is the most feasible country for software development that offers skilled labor at the most affordable prices. But again, there are various other factors that control the cost of development. Contact us today for a quote.
Over the years, the Document Management System has emerged to become one of the most efficient ways of storing all your business data. People nowadays are always on the go. They find it much easier and convenient to access their important business documents on their smartphones with a robust DMS mobile application. Also, it has made storing, managing, sharing and tracking information extremely simple and time-saving. So, if you are looking to ease your business operations by using a well-structured DMS Software OR Mobile application, now is the time.