On-demand food ordering delivery apps like Postmates, Grubhub Doordash and Uber Eats are making life as hassle-free as it ever could be. People can order their favorite dish all from the comfort of home and get immediate doorstep delivery. In case, if a firm or an entrepreneur wants to invest in this multi-million dollar business then the best way is to start Food delivery app development.
How does this On Demand Food delivery App work?
At first, as a firm or entrepreneur, it needs to collaborate with restaurants so that it can make a plethora of cuisines available for the users. Then both the firm and restaurants should go for the development of Food delivery mobile app
The home screen of the App for the user should show all the restaurants available according to the user’s location. After choosing the restaurant and the dish, the user needs to confirm the order by paying for it.
After the successful payment, the restaurant team is notified. On completion of the order and delivery of the food product to the user on the set time, the profit margin is split between the app owner and the restaurant owner.
A step-by-step approach to developing Food aggregator mobile App is shown below in a more exhaustive way.
Food Delivery Mobile App – User Panel
After the successful download and installation of the app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store, the customers need to go through the registration and login page.
- Login: This process can be made simple via social integration of Facebook, Gmail or by just a single OTP confirmation on the user’s mobile number.
- Location: Based on the user’s location, the list of available restaurants is shown with all the minute details. Users can also browse the map to select their preferred locations.
- Homepage: This screen will show all the list of nearby restaurants available. The home screen needs to be clean as setting up many things/objects and showing in a sophisticated or using hi-fi technology can confuse the user that can be a huge turn-off.
- Menu: This is one of the main features of on-demand food aggregator mobile apps. In this screen after the selection of any particular restaurant the details of the menus available will be shown to the user such as names, dish images, contact no, user reviews, expected delivery time, etc in a simple manner so that the user does not get confused by overlapping sections.
- Set pickup on the map – Enable GPS or start typing your address – the app recognizes your exact location. You may set your pickup location on the map.
- Cart Section: This part is for managing the order requests before making the payment. The user should be able to increase or decrease the food count just by tapping on a plus or minus button respectively. The total cost with all details of taxes should be shown in a transparent manner, and the amount should be updated dynamically with the changes in the quantity of the cart.
- Payment: After that, the user will be taken to the payment page where he/she needs to confirm the order by paying via different payment gateways available. One can also keep the option of cash on delivery for making it more flexible.
- Reviews Screen: The App developer can include user reviews and comment section in each restaurant details.
- Past order: This section is for keeping track of the concerned users’ past orders to make re-ordering easier.
- Offers and Discounts: The App owner/restaurant can also keep updating the user about the new offers and discounts of his/her favorite restaurants via push notifications.
- Contact Information: Contact information of the delivery person and the restaurant should also come handy at times so it should be included.
- Track delivery boy -Track the exact location of the delivery boy and see him coming in real-time. Push-notifications, arrival time and one-tap calling button.
- Search: This section is placed on the upper portion of the home screen of the user part and is mandatory for on-demand food delivery app. Users can search by the food name and all the restaurant names where that dish is available and at what price should show up within seconds.
- Refine Search –As a firm or an entrepreneur one can also keep an option for filtering things like delivery time, reviews, offers and sort the list by user’s preference of ascending and descending in terms of price.
Food Delivery App – Restaurant Panel
Restaurant owners will also have to go through a registration and login process from the app itself, and they have to submit extra documentation for the authenticity of the business.
- Dashboard: After setting up the account, the users of the app are redirected to their home page, which is the dashboard. Here they can keep track of the pending orders, completed orders and ones, which are on the way of processing for better insight and summary of what is going on.
- Accept or Decline Orders: This is the most important part of on-demand food delivery app development as delivering the food in time is an important concern. Users may cancel the order if it takes more than the set deadline or time and it will count such delay as a loss and can leave a negative impression. Not all of the restaurants can offer home delivery as such the app should have a slider in the restaurant account page so that the owner can toggle yes or no from there. There must be an option of confirming the order or cancel from the restaurant side.
- Manage Restaurant Account: Every restaurant can set their restaurant pictures, name, logo, food images, hours of operation, minimum order quantity and add all the menus available along with the price and expected delivery time. They can also mention discounts from their end for any particular item. This whole part falls into the profile section of the app.
- Payment: In the payment section, the users would have the option to transfer the money to banks or any other platform like PayPal or Wallet app as per their preference. Showing daily revenue reports can also be an added feature along with all the history.
Delivery Boy Panel
- Login -the Delivery boy will receive login credentials by the admin to enter in the application.
- Order request-When customer place an order then it will be the auto-assigned basis on the location. Each order will appear with order ID, customer name and delivery address. So he will receive all the order of his location where he is present now. He will either accept or reject the order request if he requests then his profile information will be shown to customer panel.
- Order delivery-Once order is accepted; he/she will deliver the order at the customer location and make the order completed. Order will be maintained with status i.e placed, packed, on the way, delivered, etc.
- Order history/logs-This allow the delivery boy to view the past orders that are completed by him/her. Order will show with relevant information and it can also be filtered by date range, status, and ID.
- Call/ chat-When delivery boy accept order customer can communicate with driver n advice Versa. Both have a call or SMS options.
- COD –if the system will have an option of COD in customer app then he will need to collect the payment by the customer and submit to the admin.
- Push notifications-He will get a push notification for any update from customer panel related to the placed order and admin side.
- Wallet/Get paid offline-For deliver the food; he will get paid by the admin on the weekly or monthly basis. If delivery boy app has an in-app wallet then he can receive payment in his wallet else the payment would be transferred in a bank account.
- Withdraw payment – In case of in-app wallet, delivery boy can withdraw payment from a wallet in his bank account by entering the bank name, account number or code.
- GPS tracking- To detect the delivery boy current location GPS tracking will take place
- Transaction history- As mentioned above for payment so the transaction history of the payment will be maintained in the app that will show the complete report of the delivery boy earning.
- Online support- If the delivery boy faces any issue then he can communicate with the support team to get instant help.
- Google MAP Navigation- As the delivery boy will be responsible to deliver the order if he accepted so he can view the customer address on the map and can be navigated to the designation through the Google map.
Advance Features of the Food Ordering App
On-time delivery and promptness can make a huge impact on long-term business. Machine learning helps in the matter of calculating delivery time. This app takes many factors in the count like order quantity, location to be delivered status of traffic and things like available drivers.
Real-time location tracking: This is an added feature for this kind of food ordering apps. It is a complicated process and as a firm, it is required to pay more for this feature but sure it is going to be worthy of every single penny. Users can track their order delivery in real-time on the map and can get an estimation for the same.
Restaurant owners can also check the delivery status and inform the customer in case of any sudden traffic increase on the way. As an app user, one can also use the real-time users’ location to show him or her available nearby restaurants as per the radius range. This app allows the user to change the location range by a distance slider.
Order assignment will be processed through the queue algorithm in which the system will auto-detect the delivery boy current location and assign nearby delivery boy. Location can be set by the admin that what range will be covered for queuing.
Push Notifications – Push Notifications are one important feature that the App Developer should not skip. When the delivery is yet to come, the app would send a push notification of the order arrived to notify the user. After receiving the order, a successful order delivery notification can also be sent to the restaurant owners section.
Real-time Analytics Panel powered by DB infrastructure and algorithms. It keeps you in control with your operational data and helps you reach on time-sensitive events to build projections. With the Analytics Panel, you get real-time revenue reports, revenue projections, drive your business by the numbers and much more.
For the payment system, the app developer can incorporate many third-party apps and services just to make sure that the user can pay via anything. Linking with services like PayPal and Braintree can help make the payment easier.
It is also important for Cash on Delivery option, as many may prefer to pay after the delivery of the product. It is better to give the user flexibility by choosing between domestic and international payment gateway.
CMS for News & Articles: Under this section, the admin can manage all the publishing of associated restaurant and can publicize own as well.
The App Developer can also include multiple features in the app, and the possibilities are endless. Some of the features that can be included are-
- Coupon and Vouchers for more discount
- Smartwatch extension
- Lock Screen Widgets
- Option to share in the food order Social Media
- Schedule delivery and pick up
- Check out what nearby friends are ordering
- Booking tables in nearby restaurants
Find by breakfast, lunch, evening, snacks and dinner – The app developer can make the app simple just by showing options like breakfast, lunch, evening, snacks and dinner instead of nearby restaurant lists. The app must provide different sections according to food types and users interest. For example, a section for quick foods can be hosted/prepared and delivered within a few minutes. Another section of the app can be for healthy diet conscious people.
After selecting the main item from the menu, the user should be shown options to choose complementary dishes and added beverages. Along with that, the user can also keep an option for customizing the meal. It will give the user more flexibility of what they are ordering and will leave a good impression of the app.
Required Technology Stack:
It should be remembered to devise an arrangement for the entire systematic procedure from the initial phase of the application development process. It is better to start with making a prototype so that one can have an idea to work on.
- Payment – Braintree & PayPal, Netbanking, Stripe, EWallets
- Cloud Environment – AWS, Google, Azure
- Android and iOS have their own development framework so that will not be an issue.
- For GPS tracking, the business entity can use the Core Location Framework for iOS and Google Location API for Android.
- For the real-time direction tracking, it can use MapKit for Apple devices and for Android Google Maps API is more than sufficient.
- For listing the restaurants as per the range or location, the app developer can use Foursquare’s API.
- The registration procedure can be made simple by the Facebook SDK login system or just by any social media login.
- For storage, one can rely on Amazon Cloud Storage and auto-scaling web servers.
- Amazon S3 Bucket and Cloud front for data backup will be a good option.
- For analytics and performance comparison, the app developer can try Google Analytics or Mix Panel. Making own API for data handling from the database is the most efficient way.
What Team Structure is Required
The first thing which makes a good impression of the On-Demand Food delivery app development is the sleek and clean user interface. Hiring an experienced UX/UI designer is a necessity rather than a choice. A team of two backend developers, two Android developers, and two iOS developers are enough for the successful development of the app. It is also important to have a team of testing and quality assurance professionals in case of a major breakdown of the App.
- Project Manager
- UX/UI Developers
- Android/IOS developers
- Backend Developers
- QA Teams
- Delivery Manager
Food Delivery App Development Process
How Much Does it Cost to Develop Food Delivery Mobile Apps
Well, the food delivery app development cost largely depends on the type of functionality you wish to implement in your app. However, to give an approximate value, a simple food delivery app may cost around $12,000 – $20,000, whereas a more sophisticated solution may go beyond $40,000.
U.S. based developers: – $50 to $250 per hour
Eastern Europe based developers: – $30 to $150 per hour
India based developers: – $10 to $80 per hour
and the below-defined estimate for your app as well (For developing a reasonable app, with the limited features and Android coding, the cost in India can be calculated based on the below bifurcation of involved activities).
Technical documentation (40 hours – $1000 to $1500)
UI/UX design (60 Hours – $1500 to $3000)
Front-end and Back-end development (400 Hours – $7,000 to $ 15,000)
MVP testing (80 Hours – $2000 to $4000)
Polishing and bug fixing (40 hours – $1000 to $2000)
Another significant point to remember is that developing an iOS app costs slightly less than an Android app, as that needs rigorous app testing which involves an enormous sum of money.
In India, the cost of developing on-demand food ordering mobile app begins from as low as $10 to $80 per hour for the full-stack app development.
Therefore, before starting an on-demand food delivery app it is important to undertake thorough research about the best Food delivery app development company Such in-depth research would help in knowing about the existing demand and new technologies available for serving this segment for developing a successful On-Demand Food Ordering App.