Lightning Data Service in Salesforce manages the data for you and helps you load, create, edit or delete the data in your component. This blog will discuss how to use lightning data services in Lightning Web Component, or LWC.
In Salesforce, every web component needs a server to show the data. For example, we have three components showing data about a particular thing. Now, in the general case, there will be three Apex call for the same data, and the database needs to be accessed three times.
If the data on one component changes, the remaining two components will have no information and will keep showing the old data. This can trigger lots of issues. Now, how about having a middleman that fetches all the data from Salesforce, cache it and send the new data to all components? Also, what if the same middleman informs all components about the change in data?
This is exactly what Lightning Data Services do for you. It keeps track of the data and the logs of all changes and keeps all the components informed about the changes so the components can show you the updated data.
Benefits of Lightning Data Services:
- You do not have to write the Apex Code or SOQL Query.
- It supports all the custom objects and standards.
- It reduces the load on the server and database.
- It speeds up the network transfers by fetching and caching the data.
- It shares cached data with all components at once.
- It enhances data security as it supports field-level security and sharing rules.
- It supports CRUD operations.
- It supports offline mode in Salesforce1
- It can be used in Aura and LWC.
Limitations of Lightning Data Services:
- Not all objects support LDC checks.
- It cannot use for Vf pages.
- No bulk support.
How to use LDS in LWC in Salesforce?
Import the UI API using this code:
You can use wire adapters and functions after importing.
Other components you may use are:
lightning-record-edit-form, lightning-record-form, and lightning-record-view-form
You can also call your custom APEX controller as
So this is how you can speed up your data transfer process, ensure all data is shown properly in all components, as well as enhance your data security by using Lightning Data Services in LWC in Salesforce.