We live in a world that is increasingly shaped by technological innovation and the ability to make the most out of the latest technologies like artificial intelligence (AI). Among the many applications, AI voice generators and text-to-speech apps have emerged as revolutionary tools, offering accessibility and convenience to users around the globe. In this blog post, we will discuss in detail the text-to-speech app development process like Speechify. From understanding the core requirements to estimating text-to-speech app development costs, selecting the right technology stack, and choosing the monetization strategy – let’s learn everything here.
- What is Speechify and Why It's Successful?
- Things to Know Before Text-to-Speech App Development like Speechify
- Features of Text-to-Speech Like Speechify
- How to Develop a Text-to-Speech App Like Speechify?
- How Much Does it Cost to Develop Text-to-Speech App Like Speechify?
- Monetization Strategies for AI Voice and TTS App like Speechify
- Wrapping Up
What is Speechify and Why It’s Successful?
Speechify is a text-to-speech (TTS) application and AI voice-over app designed to enhance accessibility and productivity for users. The app is known for its advanced AI-driven voice technology, allowing users to convert written text into spoken words.
Over the years, the app has evolved to include numerous more features and functionalities, including:
- Text-to-speech conversion
- Audiobooks for business & schools
- Voiceover generator
- Voice Cloning
- AI Dubbing
- AI Avatar
- AI Video Generator
- PDF Reader
- Speaking time calculator
The hero product of Speechify is the AI text-to-speech converter, which is available as an online tool, as a mobile app for Android and iOS, as a Chrome extension, and as a TTS add-on for Microsoft Edge.
Reasons Behind Its Success
- Accessibility and Inclusivity: Speechify significantly contributes to people with visual impairments or learning disabilities. This app makes its content easily accessible to the community.
- Versatility in Use Cases: This app offers a range of use cases, from reading articles and e-books aloud to converting emails or study materials into spoken format. This versatility increases the app’s appeal to diverse users, including students, professionals, and anyone seeking a hands-free approach to consuming content.
- Natural-sounding Voices: The quality and naturalness of the generated voices play a crucial role in user satisfaction. AI-driven TTS systems aim to produce human-like voices, enhancing the overall user experience.
- User-Friendly Interface: Speechify features easy navigation, customization options, and additional tools to enhance the user experience.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: Accessibility across multiple devices and platforms, including smartphones, tablets, and desktops, contributes to the success of Speechify.
Things to Know Before Text-to-Speech App Development like Speechify
Define the Purpose and Functionality Before TTS App Development
Before going for text-to-speech app development, it’s crucial to clearly understand why you want to develop an app like Speechify.
Ask yourself questions like:
- What problem or need does the app address?
- Is it primarily for accessibility, productivity, or entertainment?
- What specific tasks should the app be able to perform?
- What sets your app apart from others in the market?
Identify Target Audience and User Requirements
This involves identifying the target audience and diving deep into their specific needs and preferences.
- User Needs
- User Behavior
- Device Preferences
List Essential Features and Functionalities
Create a comprehensive list of features based on the defined purpose, key functionalities, and user requirements before proceeding with text-to-speech app development.
- Core Features: What features are essential for the app’s primary functionality?
- User Interface Features: What elements will enhance the user experience?
- Additional Features: What extra functionalities could distinguish your app?
- Scalability: Is the app designed to accommodate future updates and improvements?
Features of Text-to-Speech Like Speechify
You must consider the following features if you want to develop a TTS app like Speechify:
Core Features for text-to-speech app development
- Text-to-Speech Conversion: The fundamental feature of converting written text into spoken words using AI-driven voice synthesis. It ensures that users can consume content audibly, making the app accessible to those with visual impairments and providing a hands-free reading experience.
- Multiple Voice Options: Offering a variety of voices enhances user customization and personalization. Users can choose a voice that suits their preferences, making the experience more engaging and enjoyable.
- Language Support: The app should support multiple languages to cater to a diverse user base. Language support expands the app’s reach, making it accessible to users worldwide.
- Intuitive Design: A user-friendly and intuitive design ensures that your users find it effortless to navigate the app. Clear layouts, simple controls, and logical organization create a positive user experience.
- Customization Options: Allow the users to customize their experience. This includes adjusting settings such as speech rate, pitch, and volume to suit individual preferences and providing a personalized and adaptable environment.
Also Read – Artificial Intelligence Stats and Facts
- Accessibility Features: Implementing accessibility features ensures that the app is usable by individuals with disabilities. This may include features like voice commands, compatibility with screen readers, and high-contrast interfaces.
- Import Docs and Text: Users should be able to import text and document files such as PDFs, pages, eBooks, etc. You can integrate online file storage platforms like Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Compatibility Across Multiple Platforms: Make your platform available for multiple platforms like Android, web app, iOS, etc. It helps users to use your app across tablets, smartphones, and desktops hassle-free.
- Playback Features: Allow users to control the speed of voice output and adjust things accordingly. This can be achieved with playback options or a reliable audio player.
- Seamless Integration: Enable your app’s integration with popular services and applications like Kindle and Evernote, so that users find it easier to use your app with the platforms they already use.
- Social Login: Allow users to sign up or log in with their Google Account or any social media account so that onboarding can be quick and seamless.
Additional Features to Consider For Text-To-Speech App Development
- Offline Mode: Offline functionality allows users to access content even when they don’t have an internet connection. This feature is valuable for users who may want to use the app in areas with limited connectivity or during travel.
- Sync Across Devices: Enabling synchronization across multiple devices ensures a seamless user experience. Users can start listening on one device and continue on another without losing their progress.
- Highlighting and Note-Taking: Enhanced user engagement is achieved by allowing users to highlight text or take notes while listening. This feature is particularly useful for students, researchers, or anyone who wants to interact more actively with the content.
How to Develop a Text-to-Speech App Like Speechify?
Below is a step-by-step guide on the text-to-speech app development process:
Thorough Planning and Research
Planning and research are crucial stages in the development of any software application. These stages lay the groundwork for a successful development process by helping the development team understand the market, user needs, and potential challenges.
- Identify Competitors: Understand existing text-to-speech apps like Speechify.
- SWOT Analysis: Identify what your competitors excel at (strengths) and where they fall short (weaknesses). Explore opportunities in the market and potential threats to your app’s success.
- Market Trends: Stay informed about current trends in AI, voice technology, and user preferences. Identify emerging technologies that could impact your app.
- Target Audience: Define the primary and secondary target audience for your app. Consider factors like age, profession, and geographic location.
- User Behavior: Analyze how potential users currently engage with similar apps. Identify pain points and areas for improvement.
- Understand Regulations: Research any legal or industry regulations on voice technology and data privacy. Ensure your app complies with relevant standards.
- Unique Selling Proposition (USP): Find what makes your app unique. This could be a particular feature, user experience, or a targeted niche.
- Gather Feedback: Reach out to potential users through surveys to understand their needs, preferences, and expectations.
Design Phase (UI/UX and Prototype)
The conceptual ideas and requirements identified in the planning and research stage are transformed into a tangible and visually appealing user interface during this phase.
The design phase involves several key aspects:
- Create Basic Layouts: Designers create low-fidelity wireframes outlining the core structure and the app’s layout. This helps visualize the placement of key elements without getting into detailed design elements.
- Visual Design: Designers develop high-fidelity mockups with visual elements like color selection, typography, and images. This gives a more accurate representation of how the app will look.
- Interactive Models: Designers create interactive prototypes that allow stakeholders to experience the flow of the app. This helps identify any usability issues before development.
- Define User Journeys: Map out the various paths users can take within the app. This includes the steps involved in performing specific tasks, ensuring a logical and intuitive user experience.
- Organize Content: Determine how the app will organize and present information. This involves creating a hierarchy of information for easy navigation.
- Accessibility: Ensure that the design caters to users with disabilities. This may include features like alternative text for images, scalable fonts, and compatibility with screen readers.
- Consistency Across Platforms: Designers ensure that the app’s design is consistent across different platforms and devices, providing a cohesive user experience.
TTS App Development Phase
The conceptualized design is converted into a functioning application during the development phase of an AI TTS app like Speechify.
The development phase includes several key steps, from choosing the right tech stack, suitable programming languages, frameworks, and libraries, backend development, database setup, server configuration, API integration, and more.
The development technologies to be chosen depend on the platforms and operating systems for which you want to develop text-to-speech apps like Speechify.
You can also go with cross-platform app development to build an app that works across multiple operating systems with a single codebase.
Text-to-Speech App Testing
The testing phase involves systematically evaluating the app to identify and rectify any defects or issues before it is released to users.
Things that are considered in testing:
- Individual components of the application in isolation.
- Interactions between integrated components
- Issues arising from the combination of units
- Proper flow of data and functionality between integrated components.
- Validate the app’s functionality against the specified requirements.
- Test individual features, including text-to-speech conversion, voice options, and language support.
- Identify areas for improvement in user interaction and interface design.
- Assess the app’s responsiveness, speed, and overall performance under various conditions.
- Verify that the app functions correctly across different devices, browsers, and operating systems.
- Assess the app’s vulnerability to potential security threats.
Text-to-Speech App Deployment
Deployment is the process of making an application accessible and operational for end-users. So, once the app is developed and tested, the deployment involves making it available for users to download, install, and use.
If you have developed a mobile app for Android and iOS, then the app is launched on Google Play Store and App Store. You must make it publicly available with a domain name if it’s a web app.
Before launching, you must try to promote it through marketing efforts, like social media announcements, PPC advertising, or by collaborating with influencers.
How Much Does it Cost to Develop Text-to-Speech App Like Speechify?
Accurate cost estimation helps budget, resource allocation, and overall project management.
Following is the breakdown of the cost of developing a text-to-speech app like Speechify:
Consider the salaries and rates of developers, designers, project managers, and other team members involved in the project.
Estimate costs for necessary hardware and software tools required for development, testing, and deployment.
Licensing Fees (if any)
If your app uses third-party tools, libraries, or APIs that require licensing, include these costs in your estimate.
Testing and Quality Assurance
Budget for testing tools and services to ensure the app’s reliability and performance.
Maintenance and Updates
Estimate costs for post-launch maintenance, updates, and ongoing support, including addressing potential bugs and user issues.
If the app is expected to scale rapidly, account for the costs associated with increased user loads and additional infrastructure.
|Development Aspect||Estimated Cost Range|
|Development Team||$10,000 – $30,000|
|Platform Selection||Depends on your choice (iOS, Android, web app)|
|Text-to-Speech Engine||$5,000 – $7,000|
|User Interface (UI/UX)||$3,000 – $8,000|
|Tech Stack||$2,000 – $5,000|
|APIs||$2,000 – $4,000|
|Testing and QA||$1,500 – $3,000|
|Maintenance and Updates||Depends|
So, what will be the cost of developing an app like Speechify?
The average cost will range somewhere between $30,000 to $2,50,000. The final pricing will depend on factors like app complexity, platforms chosen (Android, iOS, web app), features and functionalities, expertise of the development team, etc.
Monetization Strategies for AI Voice and TTS App like Speechify
Below are some of the most popular monetization methods to earn money by developing an app like Speechify:
- Offer the app for free with basic features accessible to all users.
- Charge users for premium features or advanced functionalities through in-app purchases or subscriptions.
- Allows users to experience the app’s core functionality without initial payment.
- Implement a subscription-based model where users pay a recurring fee (monthly or annually) to access premium features.
- Premium features could include additional voices, advanced customization options, offline access, or an ad-free experience.
- Offer individual in-app purchases for specific features or content upgrades.
- Users can buy additional voices, language packs, or other enhancements on a one-time basis.
- Integrate advertisements within the app, either as banner ads, interstitials, or rewarded video ads.
- Users access the app for free, and revenue is generated through ad impressions, clicks, or video views.
The journey to develop an AI voice generator and text-to-speech app is a tedious process that demands careful planning, meticulous execution, and a commitment to user satisfaction. From the initial stages of understanding requirements to the deployment and beyond, each phase plays a crucial role in shaping the app’s success.
To reduce the app development cost and have a solid plan, the best idea is to outsource your project requirements to an expert app development company like Octal Software. It has a full-fledged team of highly experienced developers, designers, testers, and project managers to deliver your project well within budget and according to your expectations.