On-demand food ordering delivery apps like Swiggy, Food Panda, and Uber Eats are making life as hassle-free as it ever could be. People can order their favorite dish all from the comfort of home and get immediate doorstep delivery. In case, if a firm or an entrepreneur wants to invest in this multi-million dollar business then the best way is to start on-demand food ordering app development.
How does this On Demand Food Ordering App work?
At first, as a firm or entrepreneur, it needs to collaborate with restaurants so that it can make a plethora of cuisines available for the users. Then both the firm and restaurants should go for the development of On-demand food ordering app.
The home screen of the App for the user should show all the restaurants available according to the user’s location. After choosing the restaurant and the dish, the user needs to confirm the order by paying for it.
After the successful payment, the restaurant team is notified. On completion of the order and delivery of the food product to the user on the set time, the profit margin is split between the app owner and the restaurant owner.
A step-by-step approach to developing On-demand Food Ordering App is shown hereinbelow in a more exhaustive way.
User Side of the App
After the successful download and installation of the app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store, the customers need to go through the registration and login page.
- Login: This process can be made simple via social integration of Facebook, Gmail or by just a single OTP confirmation on the user’s mobile number.
- Location: Based on user’s location, the list of available restaurants is shown with all the minute details. Users can also browse the map to select their preferred locations.
- Homepage: In the home screen, all the food items are listed under the restaurant section or category respectively.
- Cart Section: The selected products are shown in the cart section. Here, the user is given the full permission to edit the order before final confirmation. The user is also allowed to remove or change items and go back and forth to the restaurant list and food menus screen.
- Payment: After that, the user will be taken to the payment page where he/she needs to confirm the order by paying via different payment gateways available. One can also keep the option of cash on delivery for making it more flexible.
- Reviews Screen: The App developer can include user reviews and comment section in each restaurant details.
- Past order: This section is for keeping track of the concerned users’ past orders to make re-ordering easier.
- Offers and Discounts: The App owner/restaurant can also keep updating the user about the new offers and discounts of his/her favorite restaurants via push notifications.
- Contact Information: Contact information of the delivery person and the restaurant should also come handy at times so it should be included.
App Development for the Restaurant Owners
Restaurant owners will also have to go through a registration and login process from the app itself, and they have to submit extra documentation for the authenticity of the business.
- Account Section: Every restaurant can set their restaurant pictures, name, logo, food images, hours of operation, minimum order quantity and add all the menus available along with the price and expected delivery time. They can also mention discounts from their end for any particular item. This whole part falls into the profile section of the app.
- Dashboard: After setting up the account, the users of the app are redirected to their home page, which is the dashboard. Here they can keep track of the pending orders, completed orders and ones, which are on the way of processing for a better insight and summary of what is going on.
- Payment: In the payment section, the users would have the option to transfer the money to banks or any other platform like PayPal or Paytm as per their preference. Showing daily revenue reports can also be an added feature along with all the history.
Additional Features of the On-Demand Food Ordering App
The App Developer can also include multiple features in the app, and the possibilities are endless. Some of the features that can be included are-
- Coupon and Vouchers for more discount
- Smartwatch extension
- Lock Screen Widgets
- Option to share in the food order Social Media
- Schedule delivery and pick up
- Check out what nearby friends are ordering
- Booking tables in nearby restaurants
This section is placed on the upper portion of the home screen of the user part and is mandatory for on-demand food apps. Users can search by the food name and all the restaurant names where that dish is available and at what price should show up within seconds.
As a firm or an entrepreneur one can also keep an option for filtering things like delivery time, reviews and sort the list by user’s preference of ascending and descending in terms of price.
User Home screen:
This screen will show all the list of nearby restaurants available. The home screen needs to be clean as setting up many things/objects and showing in a sophisticated or using hi-fi technology can confuse the user that can be a huge turn-off.
The app developer can make the app simple just by showing options like breakfast, lunch, evening, snacks and dinner instead of nearby restaurant lists. The app developer as per the client requirements can also provide different sections according to food types and users interest. For example, a section for quick foods can be hosted/prepared and delivered within few minutes. Another section of the app can be for healthy diet conscious people.
This is one of the main features of on-demand food ordering apps. In this screen after the selection of any particular restaurant the details of the menus available will be shown to the user such as names, dish images, contact no, user reviews, expected delivery time, etc in a simple manner so that the user does not get confused by overlapping sections.
As a firm, one can make this portion of the app as their preference, but the best way is to make catalogs on the home screen and then go for categories and subcategories as per individual items details. After selecting the main item from the menu, the user should be shown options to choose complimentary dishes and added beverages. Along with that, the user can also keep an option for customizing the meal. It will give the user more flexibility of what they are ordering and will leave a good impression of the app.
This part is for managing the order requests before making the payment. The user should be able to increase or decrease the food count just be tapping on a plus or minus button respectively.
The total cost with all details of taxes should be shown in a transparent manner, and the amount should be updated dynamically with the changes of the quantity of the cart.
The Restaurant Dashboard provides the option for the restaurant owners to keep track any future order along with all the details about how the user wants it. There would be the option of confirming the order or cancel from the restaurant side. After the delivery of the product, there would have an option to mark that order from the pending list.
This is the most important part of on-demand food delivery apps as delivering the food in time is an important concern. Users may cancel the order if it takes more than the set deadline or time and it will count such delay as a loss and can leave a negative impression. Not all of the restaurants can offer home delivery as such the app should have a slider in the restaurant account page so that the owner can toggle yes or no from there.
These changes should reflect on the users’ section and show which restaurant has home delivery and which does not.
Timely delivery is another concern of this kind of food ordering apps. To get over the current competition, the app developer can come up with offers like if the restaurant fails to deliver on time, then they will provide the food for free. In that way, the customer will be delighted.
On-time delivery and promptness can make a huge impact in long-term business. Machine learning helps in the matter of calculating delivery time. This app takes many factors in the count like order quantity, location to be delivered status of traffic and things like available drivers.
Real-time location tracking:
This is an added feature for this kind of food ordering apps. It is a complicated process and as a firm, it is required to pay more for this feature but sure it is going to be worthy of every single penny.
Users can track their order delivery in real time on the map and can get an estimation for the same.
Restaurant owners can also check the delivery status and inform the customer in case of any sudden traffic increase on the way.
As an app user, one can also use the real-time users’ location to show him or her available nearby restaurants as per the radius range. This app allows the user to change the location range by a distance slider.
Push Notifications are one important feature that the App Developer should not skip. When the delivery is yet to come, the app would send a push notification of the order arrived to notify the user.
After receiving the order, a successful order delivery notification can also be sent to the restaurant owners section.
For the payment system, the app developer can incorporate many third-party apps and services just to make sure that user can pay via anything. Linking with services like PayPal and Braintree can help make the payment easier.
It is also important for Cash on Delivery option, as many may prefer to pay after the delivery of the product. It is better to give the user flexibility by choosing between domestic and international payment gateway.
It should be remembered to devise an arrangement for the entire systematic procedure from the initial phase of the application development process. It is better to start with making a prototype so that one can have an idea to work on.
Android and iOS have their own development framework so that will not be an issue. For GPS tracking, the business entity can use the Core Location Framework for iOS and Google Location API for Android. For the real-time direction tracking, it can use MapKit for Apple devices and for Android Google Maps API is more than sufficient.
For listing the restaurants as per the range or location, the app developer can use Foursquare’s API. The registration procedure can be made simple by Facebook SDK login system or just by any social media login. For storage, one can rely on Amazon Cloud Storage and auto-scaling web servers. Amazon S3 Bucket and Cloud front for data backup will be a good option. For analytics and performance comparison, the app developer can try Google Analytics or Mix Panel. Making own API for data handling from the database is the most efficient way.
Continue Reading: Cost of Developing an On-Demand Music Streaming App
Team Architecture – (UX/UI Developers, Backend Developers, QA Teams, Android developers, iOS Developers)
The first thing which makes a good impression of the On-Demand Food Ordering Mobile App is the sleek and clean user interface. Hiring an experienced UX/UI designer is a necessity rather than a choice. A team of two backend developers, two Android developers, and two iOS developers are enough for the successful development of the app.
It is also important to have a team of testing and quality assurance professionals in case of major breakdown of the App.
App developers or App development firms charge on per hour basis for app development. For instance, the prices for App Development are higher starting from $100 to $250 in Developed economies such as Europe or in the United States of America. Eastern Europe is much cheaper in comparison with other parts of European region as the range for developing On-Demand Food Ordering App starts from $50 to $150 per hour.
In India, the cost of developing on-demand food ordering mobile app begins from as low as $10 to $80 per hour for the full stack app development.
Therefore, before starting an on-demand food delivery app it is important to undertake thorough research about the hospitality segment. Such in-depth research would help in knowing about the existing demand and new technologies available for serving this segment for developing a successful On-Demand Food Ordering App.