The global taxi industry has one of the biggest market revenue of around $100 billion and is ever increasing. Though the number is just an estimation as there are some unregistered cab operators as well. Japan has the biggest and the most lucrative cab business in the world having more than $25 billion of cab business in Tokyo itself.
This post guides entrepreneur or app developer about how one can make or start the process of building an online cab booking system, an app like Uber. However, the app developer needs to take care of the need to develop two formats for the app one for travelers or customers, and another one for drivers.
- Register or Login: The first section is, as usual, a login or registration window. Users can register via their phone numbers, email or social networking profiles.
- Home Screen: Here the user can book for a cab or check the distance between the destination and his current location along with the estimated fare.
- Driver Rating: In this section, customers can leave reviews or feedbacks for every individual driver.
- Payment: Under the payment section, users can pay for the fare in addition to securely saving the credit or debit card credentials if they want faster transactions.
- Push Notifications and Messaging: In this section, the user of the app can switch between push notification on the app or messaging option so that the user can text the driver about the current status.
- Ride History: This format displays not only all the previous ride history and transactions but also allows re-booking the same trip in one single click. (Ex. Work to home or vice versa)
- Real Time Map Plotting: The feature allows the user to see the driver/cab coming. This increases user engagement and loyalty.
- Schedule Ride: The user gets the option to either Book Now or Book Later. Ride Scheduling is an excellent feature that provides the users with added functionality.
The Driver Panel section has the same options like the registration, login, messaging, help and the push notification as developed for passenger panel but there are some additional features which are unique such as –
- Driver Status and profile: This section is for driver details as they need to add extra verification proofs like license, tax numbers, and other identity proofs.
- Ride Alert: Drivers will get the alert if someone books the trip and they also can set the status of their availability on or off just by toggling on to the screen.
- Navigation: This panel helps the driver to find out the shortest route from one place to another.
- Reports: It gives a peek at the overall invoices, total earning per day and all the rides the driver did in one day or during a month.
Like every taxi aggregator app development, this app would also have an admin panel so that the owner of the taxi or travel agency can manage and keep track all of that which is happening on a daily basis. Admin Panel also offers a quick sneak peek or overview of the payroll and all of the data.
Such Admin Panel would enable the whole complicated process look hassle free and transparent. Developing an Admin Panel is one of the most difficult app programs to develop in any cab booking app development life cycle, therefore, it needs to be done on a regular basis. The administrator can also link Google Analytics and other monitoring tools or devices to get a visual overview.
Bill Splitting: This feature enables two or more people going in the same direction sharing the same car or taxi an option to split the bill for each of them just with few clicks.
Favourite driver: If the rider or tourist is comfortable with a particular driver then the concerned passenger can book the same driver again for future rides.
Free in app calls: After booking a taxi or car, the passenger can make free calls from the app itself to the driver.
Vehicle selection: Users by using this feature can select their preferred vehicle and also choose their pickup and drop in locations from their GPS.
Voice Recognition: This feature allows the users to control the app or book a ride via voice commands
Waitlist: At peak hours users can add their names to the waitlist so that they get a ride automatically when the cab is available and don’t have to search for a free ride again and again.
Discount: This section gets updated more frequently with latest discount coupons and referral codes.
This is one new feature through which apps like Lyft and Uber have enforced. The heat map basically shows the busiest time of one location.
It also helps to see the real time driving map of the cars so that the concerned passenger or tourist can make a better decision of choosing the driver more accurately. It also helps in keeping track of the surge pricing on the app itself.
Geolocation Tracking and Routing:
This application or app fully depends on the GPS tracking system in the form of maps. The car is tracked 24/7 and the location is updated in real time. The fare is also calculated as per the distance covered.
The map also shows a detailed path of each and every small lane of the destination and calculates the shortest path and then suggests various travel options to the driver within a couple of seconds.
Communication (Push Notification, Call, SMS, Chat):
The driver and the user are required have a transparent platform to communicate. Information like pickup point, nearby landmarks, expected arrival time, delay and everything can be made clear if the user can communicate them with the driver.
For the push notification, user or tourist can use the Firebase framework. This open source framework is not only easy to implement but is also secure.
Different Payment Gateways are available to include, such as Braintree, Stripe, and PayPal’s Mobile SDK for payment or Apple Pay for iOS devices. The inbuilt payment system of this app helps the user in saving a lot of time making it hassle free and time saving.
Real-Time Data Analytics
A successful taxi operator should also have a team for handling the response from the server and process these responses through real-time data analysis.
As data will be in huge numbers, data analytics makes it easier to differentiate between them. When the traffic is high, the estimated price will also increase or shown on the app dynamically. Though some may not have issues with this extra cost per minute, others may think that they are having for a ride or are being cheated. But the app user can use real time data analytics tool for his or her own benefit.
Real-Time Charts & Dashboards
Through this app feature, the user can use pie charts and other third party API’s with the help of the travel data. As charts and tables help the users to visualize things better than raw data sheets.
Depending upon the size of the app and preferred platform, there are quite a few technologies used for different purposes.
Taxi Booking App for iPhone:
- For location monitoring, this app uses Core Location framework
- The app suggests the shortest routes and directions by using MapKit framework
- By using this app, the user or traveler uses Bluetooth beacon and Wi-Fi or both to increase the location tracking from GPS
Taxi Booking App for Android:
- Google Location Services API is used by this app and easy API for this kind of tasks.
- This App can handle all type of requests from routes to directions to navigation. A user or tourist can also use OpenStreetMap API. As an alternative in case of both Android as well as iOS.
Cost for Developing Taxi Mobile App
Now the main question comes down to how much it may cost to build an app like Uber or Lyft? Though it is a bit tough to predict the charges as the number of features can reduce or increase. Still, as per the estimates pricing depends on certain features such as-
- The platform that the operator wants to build the App – such as for Android, iOS, or Web etc.
- The technicalities of the App to be developed?
- The version of the App to be developed such as a beta version or a full feature packed market ready app?
- The development center. Countries like the USA, UK, and Australia are expensive while taxi app developers in India are quite inexpensive.
First of all, it’s important to break down the features and time required to complete each of the features. For reference, the time frame is calculated for Android platform:
Apparently, it takes around 1300 hours of work to develop a feature-rich On-Demand Taxi Booking App. The time may increase or decrease as per the number of features.
Price According to Region (US, UK India, Australia)
The price for developing taxi aggregation app depends more on the region and competition among various app developers.
Most of the companies charge as per the man-hours they put in developing the app. In North America for instance, the price is around $60-250 per hour, in the United Kingdom it is $60-150 per hour, and in Western Europe, the companies charge around $40-120.
Rates are less comparatively low on the eastern side of the globe. In Eastern Europe, the charge begins from $20 per hour and can go up to $100.
India is the most affordable providing taxi aggregation app services at as low as $10-$80 per hour.
The cost of a cab booking app in India is around $22,000 to $40,000 and apps which have extensive features like Uber can go up to $100,000 to $150,000.
Finding Right Development Partner
With a modular approach and with the right development partner, the cost and time involved in the development of taxi aggregation app can get reduced by almost 30%.
Recent Completed Taxi App – Wolero
Wolero Client Testimonial
So, before finalizing the development of such app, the operators must investigate the past track records and project completion rate of the On Demand Taxi Booking App Development Company. It is better to make a comparison among the reputed App Development Partners/firms regarding their experience, goodwill, and costs involved in developing the Taxi Aggregation App.
Team Engagement Modal (Offsite, Onsite, Hybrid)
The taxi operators can choose from three different engagement models from various software development procedures. Offshore is the way when the operator or entrepreneurs want to get it done from remote locations.
Onsite is when the user gets it done at his or office premises. In such a case, experienced Taxi Aggregation App developers will be sent to the office daily to work on the project along with the individual task allocations. Project managers of the firm will report daily task status and completion rate.
Hybrid is the mix of both and is best when the operator wants to make the optimum use of the available resource and time. In Hybrid Team Engagement Model, the onsite team will work during office hours and after office hours; the offshore team will work from a remote location. This model allows 24/7 development framework which is better for firms or taxi operators that need the app to get completed very soon.
Team Architecture – (UX/UI Developers, QA Teams, Backend Developers, Android developers, iOS Developers, Project Managers
Development Cost Breakdown
The team should comprise of every single specialist from a Quality assurance team for testing propose to backend developers to handle the most complex queries and database. The dedicated android developers and iOS developers develop the whole framework and the project managers enable the entire team work in a synchronized manner.
However, it is really important to develop the app in terms technicalities and aesthetic look. So it is important to invest in a good UX/UI designer so that the looks and intuitive interface complements the overall functionalities of the app.
It may take about 120-150 hours (approx) to build this mapping functionality along with tracking and all its features. As per the developer hourly charge, it may cost the operator around $4800 if the rate is $35 per hour and $8500 if the rate is $60 per hour.
It is essential for a taxi operator or entrepreneur to take into account the cost breakdown for building a Taxi Aggregator App like Uber with the help of reputed team architecture professionals.
Want to be the next UBER or OLA or Lyft? Get a Cost Estimation to convert your idea into reality.