- How does an eCommerce Fashion App Work?
- Reasons to Invest in Fashion App Development
- Types of eCommerce Fashion Apps
- Key Features for Fashion App Development
- How to Create a Fashion App?
- How Much Does it Cost to Develop eCommerce Fashion App?
- Wrapping Up:
Fashion shopping is the biggest segment in the B2C market, with a global value of over $525 billion in 2019. The fashion eCommerce segment is only growing further and is expected to cross the $1,000 billion mark by the end of 2025.
These statistics prove that people like to keep themselves up-to-date with the latest fashion trends, whether it is about clothing, footwear, accessories, etc. Everybody wants to look and express themselves in the best manner. For this, the reliance on eCommerce fashion mobile app has increased significantly over the last few years.
People find it easy, convenient, and quick to order new clothes, accessories, or footwear of their choice from the comfort of home and then get things delivered to the doorstep. There is no need to visit numerous physical stores and brand showrooms to find stuff of choice.
What the top fashion eCommerce apps do is bring multiple brands and clothing companies on a single platform. People can look out and browse several products of all brands and decide quickly.
Moreover, most of the eCommerce companies are operational even during the COVID-19 pandemic. People can’t buy clothing and other necessary fashionable things from local stores or showrooms because of forced lockdowns and restrictions. But fashion mobile apps are still having the back of every fashion enthusiast.
If you are someone having a unique idea about fashion mobile app development, then you must know how fashion apps work, key features required in the app, functionalities, how to develop a fashion app, as well as how much does the app development cost. Let’s discuss all these essential points in this comprehensive article.
How does an eCommerce Fashion App Work?
The working of a fashion eCommerce app is quite simple.
- The users need to install the application from Play Store or App Store depending on the operating system they use.
- After installation, they need to register on the app, usually with an email address, phone number, and password.
- They can browse the products by categories or search things directly using the search bar.
- While browsing, they can click and open the required product, see photos, read description and specification, and reviews of customers who have already bought it.
- They can add the product to the cart after selecting the size of the clothing, footwear, or any other item. or save it for later.
- From the cart, they can proceed to check out and place the order. Here, they will need to add their address and phone number and pay for the order with their preferred mode of payment.
- After payment, the order is placed.
- Customers can track the order status. The item is delivered to the customer within a few days or displayed time.
Reasons to Invest in Fashion App Development
It is vital to know whether your investment will be profitable or not in the long run. Below are some statistics and facts that show the trends and predictions about the online fashion market:
- The value of the fashion eCommerce industry in 2019 was $531 billion, which is expected to reach $672.71 billion by 2023. The growth of the fashion eCommerce market is driven by the expansion of global markets, ease of access to the internet and smartphones, modern technologies bringing experiential eCommerce, as well as the power of influencers and celebrities on social media.
- The apparel eCommerce market in the US is proliferating over the last few years. Its value was over $60 billion in 2016, which will grow to nearly $100 billion by the end of 2021.
- In Europe, every customer will be spending around $921 on fashion products in a year.
- The shoe segment in the fashion eCommerce industry is one of the fastest-growing segments. It will grow from $365.5 billion in 2020 to $530.3 billion in 2027.
- Today, 6 out of 10 mobile users prefer to buy fashion items through a mobile app or website because of the ability to buy from brands of their choice.
Undoubtedly, the fashion eCommerce industry is growing at a fast pace, with numerous mobile apps available to offer fashionable products from multiple brands.
Read Also: How to Develop an e-Commerce Mobile App
If you develop a fashion eCommerce app for your own fashion brand or store, then there are several other benefits. For instance, the users will see only your products throughout the app. Any product sold brings sales to only your business. Moreover, you can gain audience feedback and improve things.
Types of eCommerce Fashion Apps
You can choose a business model for your fashion mobile app according to the type of business you want to do. There can be several types of fashion applications, such as you can get an app developed for your own clothing store, or bring together sellers and customers on a fashion marketplace, etc. Let’s understand the different types of fashion apps that can be developed.
App for your own fashion store
If you have your own fashion store or business and want to take it online, then nothing is better than an app to design clothes for Android. You can list all your products on the app and set the price accordingly. Your customers will see only your products on the app, which means you don’t have to fight competition within the app.
You can also do it if you are a fashion brand and want to sell only your products through a dedicated mobile app.
Fashion marketplace app
If your idea is about bringing together sellers and customers on a single platform, then you can get a fashion marketplace app. Here, the sellers can sign up and list their fashion products. On the other hand, users can browse the products and buy anything they need. For every purchase, you can charge some commission from the seller. Amazon is one fine example of a fashion marketplace app or a multi-vendor eCommerce app.
B2B Fashion App
The Business to Business (B2B) fashion apps are meant for communication and sales between two businesses. For instance, the retailers or wholesalers can choose to order fashion products in bulk from the manufacturer right from the app.
Key Features for Fashion App Development
- Sign-up: After downloading and installing the app, ask the user to register on the app with their email address, phone number, and password.
- Manage profile: With this feature, the user can edit and manage his profile, update his phone number, add a new address, etc.
- Categories: Your eCommerce fashion app must have several categories to showcase the products to customers in a convenient manner. For instance, you can categorize men’s and women’s clothing, footwear, accessories, etc.
- Search bar: This is an essential feature for every eCommerce app. The search bar makes the user experience seamless and easy by showing required things directly by entering the terms and clicking the search button.
- Filter products: While browsing the products, allow users to apply filters so that they can browse and view only what they want to buy. For example, they can filter products based on their size, colour, brand, price, etc.
- Offers: You can have a separate section to show ongoing and upcoming offers and discounts to users. People are more likely to purchase more when they find discounts and deals.
- Product details: After browsing, when users click on a product, it should show a number of product images from various angles, as well as its details, like fabric, shape, etc.
- Product reviews: Along with photos and information, there should be a review section where new people can see the reviews posted by users who have purchased certain products. This helps users to decide whether a product is worth it or not.
- Cart: If a user likes a specific product and wants to buy it, the first step is to add it to the cart. There can be multiple products in the cart. Once the user is done adding products, he can see all the products with their quantity and pricing in the cart.
- Wishlist: This is a crucial feature that usually drives more sales. While browsing the products, people can’t buy all the things at the moment. But they would like to save some of the interesting products for later. This can be done with a wishlist feature.
- Apply promo code: If the customers have a promo code for a certain item, they should be able to apply it at the time of checkout to redeem the benefits.
- Payment methods: While checking out, there should be multiple methods of payment for the users. It allows them to order the item and pay with their preferred mode of payment, like debit/credit card, UPI, e-banking, mobile ewallet apps, or cash on delivery.
- Order tracking: After placing an order, allow users to track the status of their product in real-time. This helps in keeping users confident about when to expect the product delivered.
- Reward points: For every purchase, you can offer some reward points to the customers. These reward points can be used to purchase more items on the platform. This feature is great for making people buy more so that they can earn more reward points.
- Return/exchange: If the ordered clothing item doesn’t fit or not meet the expectations of the customer, they should be able to return it or request an exchange. The return and exchange feature boosts the confidence of the users and drives them to buy the products.
- Rate & Review: Once the order has been delivered, the customer should be able to rate the product and write a review about it. They can share their experience with the product, whether positive or negative.
- Order history: Customers can see all the products they have ordered, along with the date of purchase, price, and other details.
- Support: Customers may face several kinds of issues, such as delay in the order delivery, payment failure, return or exchange, etc. You should provide support to the customers using live chat, email, or call. This makes customers feel that you care for them.
- Personalized suggestions: This is the feature behind the success of many eCommerce apps today. Based on the interest of the user and their search & buying history, the app shows them relevant products that might interest the user. This increases sales significantly.
- Notifications: A notification feature should be there to send users alerts about your latest offers, deals, sale, discounts, etc. It will help you to drive more sales. You can also send notifications for app updates, delivery of the order, etc.
- Registration: New merchants and store owners can sign up for the app and start selling their products on the platform.
- Profile: They can create their profile, make changes when required, and add relevant information about themselves.
- Add & manage products: This feature allows them to list their fashion items, with related information, pricing, and details.
- Manage orders: When customers order a product, the store owner or merchant receives the notification and fulfils the order as expected.
- Reports: Allow them to see the reports and metrics about the sale of products, payment, returns, etc.
- Push notifications: Merchants receive alerts about new orders and products that are requested for return or exchange.
- Promote products: You can enable product promotions for merchants to help them show their items in top search results for relevant searches and categories. This can bring more sales for those products.
- Dashboard: A centralized dashboard for the admin to access almost every aspect of the app quickly.
- Customer management: Admin can check and manage the customer profiles, check their order history, reviews, payments, etc., whenever required.
- Merchant management: It allows the admin to keep track of new merchants on the platform, the products listed by them, returns, users’ reviews on their products, payment history, etc.
- Promotions: When merchants request their product promotion, the admin can review the request and approve it if all the guidelines are met.
- Manage categories: Admin can add or edit categories in the app, and manage the same for any product available for sale.
- Payment management: The fashion eCommerce app will keep some commission from the products sold by the merchants to the user. Admin can manage these commissions, payments made by customers, and all the other payments.
- Support: Admin can check the tickets submitted by the users, respond to them, and monitor the conversations between chatbot and customer, as well as support staff and customer.
- Manage other channels: Other channels meant for marketing, distribution, content management system, etc., can also be managed by the admin.
- Social sign-up: To make the registration and login process quicker and easier for users, the social sign-up option is convenient. Along with registration with an email address, phone number, and password, you should also allow them to proceed with a Google Account, or a Facebook account, etc.
- Chatbot support: Support plays a crucial role in the success of an app. There are many common questions of the users that you can quickly answer by integrating a chatbot. For advanced queries that need human support, the queries can be passed accordingly.
- Smart search: Also called instant search, this feature is used by all the successful fashion eCommerce apps. What it does is provide automated suggestions when users start typing in the search bar. It improves user experience and helps people to find required products in less time.
- Loyalty programs: You can offer some free gifts, exclusive discounts, vouchers, or access some exclusive collection to the users who frequently buy from you. The loyalty programs are excellent for increasing customer retention, lifetime customer value, and driving more customers.
- Real-time analytics: The admin should be able to see all the analytics in real-time, whether it is related to the number of orders, new registrations, active users, customers adding items to a wishlist, revenue, etc.
- Multilingual: You can enable support for multiple languages in the app to drive regional users and make things easy to understand for them.
How to Create a Fashion App?
The development process for all the apps may not be similar. But usually, the successful app owners follow this process for fashion eCommerce mobile app development:
Research the market
Before stepping into the market, you need to research and analyze various aspects. Understand the expectations of customers with such apps, the kind of products they are looking for, top competitors out there, their positives and negatives, etc.
This is important to research everything to develop an app that performs well. When you know the expectations of your target audience, you can integrate functionalities in your app accordingly. Moreover, the competitor research will help you to learn and explore ways on what you can do to compete with them.
Finalize app features
After the market research, you will get an idea about what features you need to integrate into the app to make it convenient for your customers. You should also keep an eye on some advanced and modern features that your competitors lack but can add significant value to users. For instance, AR (augmented reality) technology can help users to see the 3D rendering of your products. Most of the apps don’t have this feature yet. So, you must focus on adding some advanced features in your app along with the essential ones.
Decide operating system
During market research, you should also determine which mobile operating system is most used by your target audience. Is it Android, iOS, or a nearly equal amount of both? Based on the research, you should decide on the platform to develop your fashion eCommerce app.
Find app development company
This is a crucial step in the fashion eCommerce mobile app development. It is because there are numerous app development companies out there, but not all of them have expertise in developing a fashion eCommerce app. Therefore, you need to choose an app development company wisely. The team of developers there should have experience in developing such apps, and the company must be able to take care of the UI/UX design and app testing part as well.
The UI/UX design plays a critical role in keeping the users engaged on the app, driving them to buy more products, and operate everything in a convenient manner.
App testing & management
Once the mobile app has been developed, the next step is to get it tested. The app development company will forward the app to experienced testers who will find and fix the critical flaws and bugs that remained during production. This step is important before deploying and launching the app because bugs can negatively impact the user experience.
After launching the app on Google Play Store, App Store, or both, you need a team to manage it. You will need to release updates and add new products, catalogues, features, etc.
How Much Does it Cost to Develop eCommerce Fashion App?
The cost of developing an eCommerce fashion mobile app depends on several factors. These factors include the features you want to integrate into the app, chosen platforms (Android, iOS, or both), region and expertise of the app development company, UI/UX design, and the app complexity.
Another important factor determining the total cost is the size of the business. Small businesses have fewer products and traffic; medium-sized companies have a bit more extensive product portfolio. Whereas the enterprise-grade eCommerce apps usually have a massive number of products and heavy traffic.
So, on average, the cost of eCommerce fashion app development will be somewhere between $15,000 to $40,000.
The Fashion eCommerce market is undoubtedly one of the fastest and most rapidly growing markets in the world. With access to the internet and smartphones and options to buy from favourite brands and return/exchange, everybody is driven to do fashion shopping online. If you have a business idea for fashion app development, then bring it into action. For success, you need to do proper market research, get a robust app, and do the marketing strongly.
For any questions related to fashion eCommerce mobile app development, you can connect with our experts or share using the comments below.