- Market Stats of Mobile App Development in 2022
- Cost to Develop a Mobile Application
- Factor 1: Business Model
- Related blog: How to Choose the Best Mobile App Development Company?
- Factor 2: Monetization
- Factor 3: Simple or Complex Feature Set
- The Basic Feature Set That You Would Need to Include in Your Application
- Functional Services
- Push Notifications
- Social Media Integration and Chat
- Short Messaging Service
- Email Services
- Factor 4: Admin Related Services
- Read Also: Things to Consider when Hiring a React Native App Development Company
- Factor 5: Platform-: Android or iOS
- Types of Applications
- Factor 6: Designing Aesthetics
- Factor 7: Team Hire Rates
- a) For Basic level app
- b) For the Intermediate level app
- c) For Advanced level app
- Outsource Team
- Factor 7: Different stages of Mobile App Development
- Factor 8: Categories of App
- Factor 9: Dependency over the third party APIs
- Factor 10: Configuration with the server
- Factor 11: Location of App Development
- Costs across various locations:
- Factor 12: Spaces for the New Technologies
- Factor 13: Implementation of the Security Protocols
- Case Scenario for easy understanding of Mobile App Development Cost Breakdown
- Final Thoughts!
The mobile app market is constantly flourishing, and looking at the craze among people for these power-packaged apps it is very much expected that in the coming times as well they are bound to grow leaps and bounds. Everyone loves the idea of mobile apps offering immense convenience and ease to them, without causing high app development costs.
After years of research and efforts, the mobile app development market has come to a point where the technologies involved play a major role in determining their success. With Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, Big Data, and other advanced technologies being integrated with the solutions, it has become quite difficult for end-users to trust any one of these.
If you want to build a reliable application that can help you earn great profits and a loyal customer base then all you need to do is, hire mobile app developers.
Needless to mention that due to the very fame of mobile apps, today more and more businesses are keen on integrating a mobile app technology and hence they are constantly researching how much does it cost to make an app. Be it sports, food, business, lifestyle, games, communication, and travel agency, companies from all arenas are more than willing to invest in this sure-shot means to succeed.
How many have assumptions that creating a mobile app is an expensive deal, but is that really so? Well, we beg to differ. With plenty of resources available in the market today, it is possible to carve an app with limited resources and set a budget as well. So here in this blog, we will be reviewing it all in detail to find out how much does it cost to develop an app.
Market Stats of Mobile App Development in 2022
In recent years we all have been affected by the passage of a number of apps in the market. Here in this detailed market stats, we have arranged for you the current market stats with the exciting figures.
- 54.8% of the global traffic is generated from mobile devices.
- The most popular activities performed by the users on smartphones are online video watching (52%), emailing (59%), surfing social media sites (54%), online shopping (43%), music listening (38%), banking (36%) and gaming (28%).
- More than 27.6 M of apps are downloaded from the Google Play Store according to a Statista report in 2021, generating $21.5B of revenue, and is expected to reach $613B by 2025.
- According to Sensor Tower, global consumers have spent $133B with 17.7% in 2020. This includes the in-app purchases, and premium apps from the top play stores; Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
Cost to Develop a Mobile Application
In today’s times, creating mobile apps has become the new money-making move for businesses, and this is why many people out there are keen to find the actual app development cost. However, to be honest, determining the cost to develop an app is not as simple as it sounds, as several factors go into the making of a mobile app, like the platform on which the app is being developed, app complexity, the experience of the development team and various other factors that are responsible in app making process.
So, here let’s work to understand variables that would affect the cost to build an app.
Factor 1: Business Model
Business & revenue generation plans are the very core of the journey of creating an app and they have a major role to play in the mobile app development cost.
A few points to be considered in this aspect are: play the preferred platform of your target audience:
- A product that you’re trying to sell
- Advertisements of your products or Third-party
- Devices required to be integrated for making the app responsive
- Role of visual design in-app interface
- Paid or Free app
- In-app purchases
So, these along with various other factors, such as monetization strategy, are pivotal in determining the time and cost of developing an app
Related blog: How to Choose the Best Mobile App Development Company?
Factor 2: Monetization
Free Apps: There is this common view that the idea behind the free app is to make instant money, however, that isn’t true. Instead, the idea is to expand the customer base so that the business can sell to them later. Free Apps can also be monetized by enabling advertisers on the app.
Freemium: It is a free-to-use app, however, it offers this option to its users to pay to unlock the premium features. When your app is good enough to attract users, this model can work great for you as your users will be more than willing to buy the premium features. And in case the engagement is less and not many people are willing to pay for the premium features, then this way you know that something has been done wrong and you need to work on that.
E-Commerce Apps: These apps make the money usually by selling the products online or by securing a commission from sellers.
Paid Apps: This category of apps makes money directly through several downloads. Here it is crucial to set the right price for the paid application. Here you can decide how much does it cost to build an app after identifying the customer’s willingness to buy the application.
Factor 3: Simple or Complex Feature Set
The complexity of the app features would determine the time for development and ultimately the cost of creating an app. So, this excluding means that the simple apps require lesser budgets, whereas the complex application will be pricier. Based on their feature set, all the applications can be divided into three categories: Basic MVP, Apps of medium complexity, & Large Apps. When it comes to the cost of app development, complexity matters, with a limited budget, consider prioritizing the features that fit within that price range & release the product in the market as soon as possible.
The Basic Feature Set That You Would Need to Include in Your Application
These are the services that are needed for the execution of the functions and features of the application that you are taking to the market. Your developer may integrate certain features with the application but to successfully use them, there are a few services that you need to integrate with your mobile application that would make things easier.
Here are some most regular models:
It’s difficult to envision an application that doesn’t use this fundamental mobile service. Pop-up messages reflect the rise in your clients’ commitment to your application and empower the ideal activity, like a purchase.
When you hire a mobile app development company just confirm before closing the deal the technology they would be using for the same and would be the benefits of that particular technology for user engagement.
Yearly expense: $2,400
Social Media Integration and Chat
Your business would need to implement these services to support sharing and gaining a loyal customer base for your business application through web-based media. In any case, if you need social cooperation in your application, you will probably require a membership to a service provider that would make things easier for you.
Yearly expense: $1,200
Short Messaging Service
It is significant to let your users be updated with your brand as they have taken your services for a reason. To integrate text messaging services into your mobile application, we generally make use of Twilio.
Yearly expense: $500
Since most users turn to their emails first in the morning, dropping a mail to keep them engaged with your brand would be easier.
Yearly expense: $1,000
Factor 4: Admin Related Services
Your business would need an instinctive, incredible, accessible, and comprehensive organization dashboard for its ceaseless workflow.
The expenses that are around the admin department are quite complex as it majorly depends on the individual applications that you would be using.
In any case, very much like with the wide range of various application costs – they do add up and you will bring about them on a continuous basis. The bespoke mobile application development solution doesn’t offer an approach to set aside these expenses. Basically excluding these in your application to the executives isn’t an alternative as it would remove your authority over the substance, clients, and information.
Fortunately, this isn’t the best way to create and keep an application, and we’ll cover the strategy to forestall these expenses further beneath.
Here are a few aspects that we take care of when working on your admin-based application features.
- Content Management System: It is important that the content on your app is as simple as snap and alter. If you want to change a word or some information, you ought to have the option to alter your application content – this ability is an absolute necessity for your dashboard.
- Dashboard Emulator: We will let you have a look and feel of the app before the changes are made. You will need to perceive how transforms you take a look at the application prior to pushing them out live to the client’s local area. A previewer application is an unquestionable requirement!
- Dynamic Updates: A lot of application owners would provide consistent updates – it’s the idea of business! Some applications require an intricate update methodology each time some little change is made. We offer solutions that have a powerful update measure whereby a simple click of a catch on the application dashboard pushes out the substance changes to all applications naturally.
- Client Profiles: You would surely need to manage the client’s profile along with your services. There are myriad aspects like secret phrase reset structures that get effectively lost in the planning cycle – a decent planner will not allow it to occur!
- Predictive Analysis: Would you like to have the option to comprehend your clients’ in-application conduct, similar to the exercises occurring in the application, the number of downloads, which clients access which screens, and then some? This data ought to be effectively open.
- Access Controls: It is impossible for all directors or clients to be something similar. You will need to control jobs and consent to oversee who can access and change what is inside the application. This additionally incorporates what clients can get to; what screens they see, their private client data, and additionally admittance to premium substances.
- Framework Services: These services incorporate infrastructural segments, for example, where the application is facilitated, where information is put away, and how the information is conveyed. These additionally need redundancies and burden balancers for reinforcement and security workers, which add both the expense and intricacies.
- Servers play: These are the rudiments. It is here that your application would be hosted to be available over the internet. If you are with the biggest of endeavors, you will need to rethink facilitating any semblance of Amazon, Google, and Azure.
Yearly expense: $12,000
- Data Analysis: Data is what drives your application, and your application will gather and contain a great deal of it. It is urgent that you see how and where the information will be put away.
Yearly expense: $3,600
- Image Information: Most applications integrate quite a ton of pictures. You should have a spot to download, measure (resize, crop, and so forth), and convey pictures. We normally look forward to organizations like Google, ImageX, and CloudImage.io that can offer such services.
Yearly expense: $4,800
These are some of the basic services that are to be integrated with your application for better results. If you are looking forward to assistance we are just a click away!
Factor 5: Platform-: Android or iOS
It is your choice of platform that again will be influencing the cost to make an app. Decision-making in this regard will be easier when you consider the audience you need to reach and accordingly the platform choice can be made. Both iOS & Android platforms are different in the terms of technical implementation, market share, and the variety of devices & OS versions.
Now the devices that run on Android are more in numbers as compared to iOS, and this makes the app made on Android more complicated as it will have to work equally well on all the Android devices. How much to make an app on Android or iOS? Well, to develop an app for a single platform, whether Android or iOS, won’t make much difference in the cost to create an app. But if you are determined to get the app for both of the platforms, then the cost will go higher, so be prepared for the same.
Types of Applications
Next, the average cost to develop an app also depends on what type the app falls under. So, here let’s have a look at different types of apps.
- Web Application: These are the apps that are actually websites optimized for mobile users. There are several surveys that show that eighty percent of smartphone users prefer mobile applications over websites.
- Native Application: This kind of app is created for a specific operating system (OS) whether iOS or Android and these are quite complex in nature and they provide a rich user experience.
- Hybrid Application: This kind of app is much simpler in nature as it operates on a single programming language. But unlike the native applications, these apps work on both platforms. These apps are easier to develop and manage, though here the user experience is not as good as the native applications.
Factor 6: Designing Aesthetics
App designing plays a crucial role in deciding the mobile app development cost. Make sure when the user comes to your platform, their experience is flawless. They get the essence in a short time. The user gets to appreciate the platform by its performance. The designer first researches the keen details required to imbibe in the app. A more intense level of design would raise the cost of making an app.
Designing areas in the app where the app can be personalized.
- Custom icons
- Finger tap
- Layers of smoother functioning
Factor 7: Team Hire Rates
In house team
In-house has built the app development on the type of basic, intermediate, and advanced.
a) For Basic level app
For the basic features based app; the team generally have
- Project Manager
- Business Analyst
- Front-End Developer
- Backend Developer
- UX-UI Designer
- QA Engineer
b) For the Intermediate level app
For the intermediate features based app; the team generally have
- Solution Architect
- Business Analyst
- Front End Developer
- Backend Developer
- UX-UI Designer
- QA Engineer
- DevOps Expert
c) For Advanced level app
For the advanced features based app; the team generally have
- Project Manager
- Solution Architect
- Business Analyst
- Front End Developers
- DevOps Engineers
- Backend Experts
- UX/UI Experts
- QA Engineers
- Delivery Manager
- Data Science Expert
For your guidance, we have created a table, in regard to the various functions of the role of the team members for the mobile app. Let’s have a quick look.
|Project Manager||He is capable of handling the overall app development process in the structure of the company.|
|Business Analyst||Collecting all of the SRS requirements from the development team and developing the workflow for the development process to further work on that under the time and the cost frame.|
|Front End Developer||He is the front caption of the product responsible for the coding using the desired languages like HTML, CSS, JS, React, Angular, Python, etc.|
|Backend Developer||He is the backfoot of web development, responsible for creating the internal workflow and coding infrastructure of the product as per the dependency of the app platform.|
|UX/UI Experts||Designing is the most captivating thing at the first level surface when any user comes. The UI/UX expert makes sure that the user’s first experience fades soon.|
Database admin is the complete handler of the data at the front and the backend. Complex applications generate millions of data, required to be accessed by the database admin.
Quality analyst assures the development team about the efficiency and correctness of the app working.
He is the senior DevOps expert, responsible for building and updating any of the new modules and versions. They aim to reduce the lifecycle of the app, and improve the quality.
They are hired for curating specific problems. He covers the mixed skills of technologies, problem-solving, the latest industry patterns, and decision making.
He is responsible to handle analytical skills, and customer-focused solutions, and solve any technical issue raised in between the app journey.
|Technology expert; Data Science expert, AI/ML expert, IoT expert||
Extend your app brand to new horizons and implement it with the latest technology, like data science; the expert should have knowledge of analytical and statistical skills, algorithms, machine learning, data analysis, etc.
Small and medium-sized businesses, leading on their way to expanding the business, but have fewer technical experts for the full-time job scheduling. Hiring people for the full-time snag your cost for app development to a great extent. But it’s also important, not to compromise the quality and the effectiveness of the app. In that case, outsourcing is a great relief for your business with the minimum time to look upon the app process.
There are app development agencies able to deliver your products on time, making them more responsive, highly beneficial, and reliable in the marketplace. You can hire them for your business lead as per your requirement.
Indian agencies have less cost to develop app compared to European or US-based agencies.
Whether you choose to go for in-house app development or outsourcing, it is going to have a huge impact on the costs of developing an app. An app mainly is critical to the success of processes, and it is essential to the business model. Therefore, it is not advised to risk a delay in developing your app owing to a poor decision by the developer.
The savings obtained with a low-cost solution cannot make up for the possible loss of revenue incurred due to the poor choice of developer. Meanwhile, usually, the businesses look at in-house development as the first choice in order to retain benefits. However, it is better to weigh the decision to create the app through outsourcing or in-house very carefully as this decision hugely contributes to the overall cost of building an app.
In order to succinct your app’s success, you can add top-class freelancers for different domains of development in the mobile app. There are different aspects like coding, designing, QA, and integration with new technologies.
The cost of building app by the freelancer starts from as low as $10 to a maximum of $50 per hour.
In case you are on a tight schedule, you can hire freelancers and end up your app development under time constraints.
Hire the right fit for your organization from many popular freelancing websites like Upwork, Fiverr, Toptal, etc.
Factor 7: Different stages of Mobile App Development
So, there are various stages of mobile application development, and as it comes to the technical aspect & lifecycle of mobile app development, it is vital to look at different phases in terms of the mobile app development price & the amount required to be disbursed at each of the stages.
Talking of the five different stages, they are:
- Pre-research stage
- Design stage
- Development stage
- Testing & Deployment stage
- Support & Maintenance
Upon having an understanding of the cost of mobile app development at each stage, it will be helpful to accordingly plan the budget.
Factor 8: Categories of App
Different categories of the app give more options to the users and for the business as well to add more user likely solutions. If you are planning to develop a gaming app with all of the generic features relevant to the market then and wonder how much does an app cost, it will end up more mobile application development cost to you compared to the simple use of the app. Likewise, e-commerce apps, social networking apps, on-demand or technology-centric apps would end up more average cost of app development to your budget, scope to unlock more users to the platform.
Depending on the type of the app development cost may vary. They are:
- Simple app: $15K
- Gaming: $35K
- Social networking app: $50K
- E-commerce app: $45K
- On-demand: $50K+
- IoT app: $45K+
- Business or Enterprise app: $40K
Factor 9: Dependency over the third party APIs
Third-party API is where needed for the flawless working of the app with the other platforms. Depending on the functioning of the API its cost would be decided. And this will reflect the custom app development cost. Some of the common APIs are maps APIs, SDKs, push notifications, etc.
Factor 10: Configuration with the server
Data loading or storing is the most important aspect to carry out the smooth flow of the activities performed over the platform. So the data storage options need to be taken care of more.
Some of the common servers integrated into the app are as:
- Web Server
According to the webserver, the number of users can register on the app, one user for the initial set up, up to 100 users for vertical scaling of the app, 1k users for horizontal scaling of web server users, 10k users can use the database deployment, more than 500k users for the combining of multiple users aligned with the business.
- Cloud Data Server
Cloud infrastructure gives so much flexibility to the DB admin to place the ease of functioning in real-time on the cloud. Cloud servers have offered free and subscription-based services to enterprises and for personal use. Top cloud-based servers are; DropBox, Google Drive, Hostgator, etc.
They assure free uninterrupted data storage up to 1GB and you can extend it as per need with the charges.
- Shared Server
The most important benefit of the shared server is that even in the case of any failure of the app in real-time, the data would not end up being lost, for the users, as there is no central server. In case of failure of the server, instantly the neighbor server fetches the request to facilitate the lost server.
Factor 11: Location of App Development
Hourly development rates differ across nations. Going by the standard, the hourly rates swing anywhere between $10 to $250/hour. Now the highest priced rates per hour are 25 times more than the lowest-priced hours. Meanwhile, it is crucial to understand that all categories are supposed to meet different requirements. In case your budget is limited and you are looking at cutting the frills and willing to go with reasonable quality, then you should go with the lower-priced options. However, if you have a decent budget and you are willing to have an app that is created with all the technical complexities and gives a greater user experience, then going up the pricing ladder is a better idea.
Costs across various locations:
- The U.S.A. & Canada-based companies: $50-$250/hour
- Australia-based companies: $50-$150/hour
- Western European & UK-based companies: $35-$170/hour
- Eastern European-based companies: $20-$150/hour
- India-based companies: $10-$80/hour
Now when considering the fact that the average time to design and develop an app can be anywhere around 300 to 600 hours, it is a suitable benchmark to arrive at the costs towards the hourly rates. Also, take note of the fact that the time taken to develop apps might vary depending on the app complexity.
Considering all the above-mentioned aspects, it is clear that it is tough to come up with an average cost to build an app, as the cost will vary with your choices at various stages. However, to offer a rough idea, it can be said that if you choose to get your app created by an Indian mobile application development company, for a single platform with limited features, then it is certain to cost between $25,000-$35,000, and in case you are willing to shell out somewhere around $50,000, then you are certain to get a great-quality app developed with amazing features and functionalities for both the platforms. Since the iPad app development cost, Android app development cost, and iOS app development cost are different, building a hybrid app may raise the final cost.
Factor 12: Spaces for the New Technologies
There should always be scope for the spaces of the newer technologies in the app. In the technological world, the market is looking for fast and automated solutions. AI, IoT, ML, or AR are the top integrated solutions that hook up the trained developers to scope for more advanced solutions in the market. They have laid down solutions that could even integrate with such technologies. Eventually, this would raise the final front end development costs in the future, but further, this opens up the doors to better opportunities for mobile apps.
Factor 13: Implementation of the Security Protocols
To maintain the introspect of the application, security protocols must be followed. The businesses have signed the non-disclosure agreement for the confidentiality of products within the company’s boundaries.
Case Scenario for easy understanding of Mobile App Development Cost Breakdown
When an app matches your requirements, it reflects you more about how much does app development cost and features and experiences.
Uber is one such app known as the best ride-hailing app model for new development companies. It has plenty of breathtaking features that excel the sustaining of the app amongst the user’s minds and in the marketplace:
- Directional, routing, and geolocation tracker
- App profile registration
- Payment integrations
- SMS and push notifications
- The facility of cancellation of rides
- Scheduling of rides
- UI/UX designing
The overall estimate would calculate that the cost to develop the Uber app with the features and the functionalities would lie around $25k. The cost would rise with a few more features in the range of around $40k.
In this rapid and fast-forward world, apps are there for our everyday needs. Developing a mobile app, urge for specialized skills and alignment with the latest technology to turn the app idea into reality.
We hope this article could bring down to you some of the essential aspects that need to be figured out: how much does it cost to build an app, and to get an optimized app under the budget for your business.