- Key Factors That Determine the Application Development Framework to Use
- Market Stats for Mobile App Development
- What are Hybrid Apps?
- Top 10+ Hybrid Mobile App Development Frameworks of 2022
- 1. Ionic
- 2. React Native
- Also, Read: Things to Consider when Hiring a React Native App Development Company
- 3. Xamarin
- Related Blog: Flutter, Xamarin & React Native – A Detailed comparison
- 4. Flutter
- Also, Read: Top Flutter App Development Benefits and How to Hire Flutter App Development Services
- 5. Corona SDK
- 6. JQuery Mobile
- 7. Apache Cordova
- 8. Mobile Angular UI
- 9. Intel XDK
- 10. Framework 7
- 11. Kotlin
- 12. Appcelerator Titanium
- 13. Onsen UI
- Wrapping Up
The mobile world of digital technologies is currently on an expansion spree. There is no indication or reason for saturation to strike anytime soon. Rather it is all set to take a long stride forward in the coming years.
While the big players are on the constant lookout for innovation and advanced methods to add value to their app users’ lives, there are small and medium scale businesses that are yet to launch their business mobile apps. The future is only poised to see new apps and more entrepreneurs join the mobile bandwagon.
The evolution of technology however has made things easier from the development perspective. Just like the way mobile apps have simplified users’ lives, mobile app development frameworks have eased the lives of developers.
The introduction of hybrid mobile app frameworks has created a stir in the market with all the amazing functionalities and features they offer. With the capability to produce native-like apps, the hybrid app frameworks have made their existence count in recent times.
According to a study, about 60% of business owners prefer to build hybrid apps. On the other hand, 80% of the businesses do not care if the app developed is a native app or a hybrid app. This means developers are free to use the app framework for hybrid mobile app development as long as the final output is the desired one, meeting the client’s expectations and requirements.
Having said that hybrid mobile app frameworks make developer’s life easier, there is still work to be done. Above everything, the task is to choose the mobile app development frameworks 2022 from the pool of highly-acclaimed mobile app development frameworks.
Selecting the best cross platform mobile app framework in 2022 can be tedious, primarily due to the number of options available. Hence, to put an end to your best hybrid app development framework selection worries, we have researched and created a list of the top 10 mobile app development frameworks that you should consider to build your hybrid business app or ask your mobile application development partner to make use of.
Without further ado, let’s get started with the mobile development framework comparison.
Key Factors That Determine the Application Development Framework to Use
There are a few factors that would determine what mobile application framework you should use in your application for better results. Let’s discuss each of these factors that would help you put up the right solution on the screen in no time.
1. The Intentions of the Project: The most significant factor that determines what dev frameworks to use in your project is the intentions. The mobile development framework that you are to use for your work must support the results the project needs to bring to the screen.
2. Flexibility of Use: If the solution that we are looking for isn’t flexible it becomes quite difficult for the team to understand what to use and how to use it. It is important that the best framework for app development that is put to use can be modified to deliver certain results.
3. Learning Curve: It is important to understand the learning curve of the application development framework that you are to use. If it is complex then it is better to hire experts or go for the simpler curve that can easily be understood by the team. If you think there is a certain framework for web and mobile app development that would help you earn better results and can help your future endeavors then go for it.
4. Documentation: If a mobile application framework has proper documentation, it is going to save you a lot of time. In times when you may be stuck between what to do and how to do it, you can easily reach the documentation and find a solution. It is like having a user guide for the queries that you have.
5. Support: It is vital that the mobile framework you are working for is interesting and helps you in case of any confusion and future updates. Some mobile development frameworks have a great user support system that lets the users enter the market with the right set of information and bring on the stage interesting and engaging solutions.
If your framework can offer these you are at the right place.
Market Stats for Mobile App Development
- The mobile app industry has been surpassing its growth with an annual growth rate of 21.7% with a revenue of $20.7B by the year 2025.
- The number of global mobile app development frameworks downloaded by users is 258B in 2022.
- The revenue generated with these mobile apps is estimated to reach $935B in the year 2023. Paid downloads and in-app advertising are the top ways to earn revenue.
- Most of the big techie companies are offering solutions like the cloud; increasing the paramount impact in the growth by 24.5%.
- Top companies that have claimed to offer the solution in the market of the mobile app are Google inc., Apple inc., Amazon inc., Adobe systems inc, IBM, Salesforce.com, Appcelerator, HP, Red Hat, and many more.
- As per Statista, Flutter is the best mobile development framework used by 42% of 24.5 Million global software developers and users in 2021.
- More than 50% of the traffic is grabbed due to mobile apps, as per Statista reports.
- Out of which 60% of the users are aligned with the use of hybrid apps.
Competition is at its peak and the market is in demand for the more and more best inspirational apps in the market for the next coming years. To give more alternatives to the users the technology frames are exceeding in terms of which is the best one to pick from the huge availability.
To idealize such proximities we have arranged for you the best cross platform mobile app frameworks which work for the development of apps.
Let’s first understand more about what is meant by the hybrid mobile app framework and why to choose hybrid for building the app using mobile app development frameworks that work as cohesive in such a competition.
What are Hybrid Apps?
Hybrid apps are built using multiple tools to reuse the same app code in the mobile apps. This enabled developers to develop the app without writing the code from scratch. The apps developed in this are not truly native nor are they web-based.
Developers now don’t need to build a different app for different platforms. For example, for the video-sharing app, react native is the best tool to be used.
The rendering effect causes the lack of look and feel of the app. Many times when we open the app in the browser, it looks completely different. The term hybrid gives the ability to open the app in a separate application interface instead of the browser or any third-party emulator. This facilitates the developer to run and deploy the app using the same code without altering the code from the scratch.
This advanced type of application development framework is faster to support all types of ecosystems beneath. This saves plenty of money, time, and resources, and gives a wild entry for many of the small and large level players in the market. Apps built under such platforms are Shopify, Instagram, Intuit, and Microsoft.
In 2022, companies using hybrid mobile development frameworks will develop innovative apps. Let’s understand more about the best mobile app frameworks.
Top 10+ Hybrid Mobile App Development Frameworks of 2022
Following is the list of the best app frameworks for hybrid mobile app development.
Launched in 2013, it is one of the oldest hybrid app development frameworks. More than 5 million apps have been built with Ionic, which shows the trust of companies and developers in this hybrid framework. The mobile apps built with Ionic offer a native-like mobile experience to users. Hybrid app developers, on the other hand, prefer it because it has amazing in-built elements to make use of.
- Predefined UI elements for impressive designs
- Comprehensive documentation for understanding the proper use
- Strong community support
- Code once and use it to build apps for different platforms
- No support for hot-reloading
- Too much dependency on plug-ins
- The inclusion of more features tends to affect the speed of the app
2. React Native
Next on the list of the best hybrid app framework for 2022 is React Native. It is a Facebook product that was released as a web development ReactJS platform in 2013, while the final stable release took six more years to come out. It was in June 2019 when its first stable release was launched. It makes cross-platform app development a walk in the park for the developers. React native app development provides a native-like experience to the users and is highly stable.
- Produces high-performance hybrid apps
- Third-party plug-in integration is possible
- Less expensive than other hybrid app frameworks
- Amateur community of developers
- Some compatibility issues can be encountered in the final app
Owned by Microsoft, Xamarin is a hybrid app framework used to build aesthetically-sound cross-platform mobile apps that run seamlessly on different operating systems like iOS, Android, and Windows. Its popularity surged after the big tech giant Microsoft acquired it in 2016. The language used here is C# which makes development smoother for the developers irrespective of the platform they code for. Developers can also use .NET features and native APIs for building hybrid apps.
- Code reusability (more than 95% of code can be reused)
- It is a complete development ecosystem unlike others on the list
- Seamless integration with external hardware
- Performance is next-level and apps are native-alike
- Comparatively more expensive than other hybrid app frameworks on this list
- Limited exposure to a community of experienced developers
- Limited technologies can be used, only the ones provided by Xamarin can be used
Related Blog: Flutter, Xamarin & React Native – A Detailed comparison
Flutter is the latest hybrid app development framework that was launched by Google. It’s powerful, advanced, and bankable. Designed for Google Fuchsia OS, Flutter app development enables the creation of apps for different platforms with a single codebase. It is a complete UI software development kit that uses its programming language known as DART, which is touted as a combination of Kotlin and Java. It has plenty of features that developers love including a hot reload feature, component implementation without OEM widgets, and web views like buttons, switches, dialog boxes, loading spinners, tab bars, and sliders.
- Terrific cross-platform capabilities
- Speedy development and dependable performance
- Interactive and seamless user interface design and development
- Google’s support and reliability
- The community of developers is limited to Google and Alibaba employees
- Apps developed are heavier in size than native counterparts
- Fairly new and requires time to mature
5. Corona SDK
If you are looking for speedy development, then Corona SDK is the best hybrid mobile app development framework that you want in 2022 and beyond. It is 4x times faster than other hybrid frameworks listed in this article and is clearly the best framework for iOS and Android app development. It uses a lightweight scripting language called Lua. The development of single code apps is possible that serve brilliantly to platforms like iOS and Android. It is preferred by hybrid app developers to build 2D games, enterprise applications, and education applications.
- Rapid app development is a plus
- Well-equipped framework
- Capable of producing high-performance apps
- Limited external library support
- Lua can be tedious to comprehend for new developers
6. JQuery Mobile
- Simplified navigation
- Intuitive web pages
- Matured as a framework
- Impressive plugin library
- Apps made with this framework can be slow and sluggish
- An experienced designer is needed to exploit the framework
- Complex app development can be a task to handle
- Custom theme integration can evoke CSS issues
7. Apache Cordova
It is one of the best frameworks for mobile apps first released by Nitobi and later acquired by Adobe Systems. It is formerly known as the PhoneGap. It supports multiple OS like Android, iOS and Windows Mobile. Comes with customization, it offers features like on-device components, third-party management tools like a single codebase, and many others. It runs for the apps with the wrappers integrated with various API bindings, helping to access the sensors, data, and network status.
- It supports command line APIs
- Pre-developed components, and plugins.
- Other bootstrap supports
- Cordova CLI and emulator
- It needs lots of data and functionality for the creation of the app.
- Compatibility issues with the plugins for the different devices and platforms.
8. Mobile Angular UI
It uses Angular JS in combination with Bootstrap to build cross-platform apps. Features of this angular mobile framework like being consistent across devices and platforms and allowing developers to use features like sidebars, switches, overlays, etc. It is an open-source hybrid app framework that’s licensed under MIT and available to use for free.
- Free to use and expand
- Uses HTML5
- Ideal for light apps
- A limited set of features
- Not appropriate for complex apps
- A lot of dependency on Bootstrap
9. Intel XDK
Next on the list of best mobile app development frameworks 2022 is Intel XDK, which simplifies workflow and lets developers create stunning HTML5 websites and apps through its highly intuitive user interface. It has a troubleshoot option and profiling choices that help app testers to detect bugs and flaws quickly on different kinds of devices. Additionally, it allows developers to export the app for compilation with ease.
- Continuous improvement by the team is a plus
- Appreciable synchronization methods
- In-built tools make live preview possible at different stages of development
- A heavy system with additional code for drag and drop feature
10. Framework 7
It is an HTML5-based hybrid app framework that’s free to use. It is preferred for designing apps for Android as well as iOS. It is an independent app framework with zero dependencies on AngularJS or ReactJS. It enables the developer to choose from different framework variants like Framework 7 Core, Vue, and React. You can also choose the target platform amongst PWA, web app, or Cordova app.
- Apps built using Framework 7 are fast and stable
- Community support is satisfactory
- Apps are completely license-free
- Lacks proper documentation
- Integration with other hybrid app frameworks is not possible
- Supports only the latest versions of operating systems
Top features like inline functions, high order functions, lambdas for the functionalities. Unlike native platforms, the developers can deploy the code using the virtual machine. With the hassle-free business logic now Kotlin is the high-end free mobile application framework to save time and cost.
- Supports multiple classes
- Third-party functions and plugins
- Smart cast function
- Have speedy functions, syntax, and APIs
- Collecting filtering
- Java interoperability support
- Limited resources utilization
- More compilation time
12. Appcelerator Titanium
- Web-based SDK makes it one of the desirable hybrid mobile app frameworks
- A constantly growing and supportive community of developers
- Numerous API functions to use
- Lack of flexibility
- Complex apps are tough to build with this framework
- Building an app with Appcelerator Titanium can be expensive
13. Onsen UI
It is known as the beautiful HTML5 hybrid app and web mobile apps. There are the top reasons why developers have preferred Onsen UI above any other framework – its zero time setup and a faster speed up. You don’t need to worry even if you are operating with low-performing devices.
The good thing is you just have the optimal knowledge of the HTML, CSS, and JS to get started with this framework. It has plenty of new features to offer and excited developers like stack navigation, UI tabs, side menu, automatic styling support, documentation, and design support. Popular apps developed in Onsen UI are Opal and PopVox.
- It works great with the Monaca, a command-line tool. The built is deployed directly plugged with the cloud, so deployment time is greatly reduced.
- People trust more in the apps developed in Onsen UI; Google has a vast presence of 100M+ apps built on this.
- It used to build cross-platform hybrid apps with PhoneGap and Cordova.
- Optimized performance is the must-have feature everyone should urge for. With such rapid functionality of the apps in the market, Onsen UI is the leading UI builder to make the development of complex parts much easier.
- It consists of poor and early documentation.
- The cost of app development is big compared to the other frameworks.
The world of apps is not settling down anytime soon. It will only see newer technologies, better methods, advanced frameworks for web and mobile apps, and of course a lot more apps.
The above-mentioned are the top mobile app development frameworks that can be considered for developing your next app. If you are wondering which one to use then put an end to this thought by getting in touch with us. We will take you through the process of choosing the best framework for mobile app development 2022 based on requirements and objectives. We offer free consultancy so don’t hold back and say ‘Hi’ to our support executive now.